Chapter Fifty- Nine

Drying her face the moment she felt a presence at her side, Colette sat up making sure her bum was rested well on the last step on the flight of stairs that led down the chamber. Her gaze to the table the woman laid on, she pretended to be deep in thoughts while regarding her as she noted the person next to her. Neither people said anything as they lingered. It went on that way until she spun to the side and glared up at this figure.

"She is beautiful," said Aenon when Colette studied him and he watched her lips curl into a tiny smile at his compliment to the queen.

The man then took his time as he too eventually sat on the stoop. His gaze pinned to the large woman who he remembered fought so fearlessly. He was yet to learn more about her but he was aware of her identity, she was the infamous revenant queen, or so it was believed.

"She is beautiful," Colette's voice croaked when she responded and in agreement with the man's statement. She inevitably tried to clear her throat once she heard how hoarse she was.

"She fought like Bellator..." Aenon trailed off and when he realized the brunette didn't understand the meaning of the word he turned to her, puffing his chest. "Warrior," he repeated but in the language she understood.

"She fought like a warrior,"

Chuckling at his odd accent and the amusing way he puffed himself out, Colette turned her focus back to the motionless figure and she studied her. That was the first time she'd ever seen Adira fight like that, sure there was the incident at the hearing some weeks prior but that was not fought at her highest potential, so it was different.

Nodding as she let the words of her new friend sink deeper and deeper, the girl hums to herself. "She was a warrior, but she always tried not to be."

"I understand. And not only was she that, but your lover too, yes?"

"Yes, my lover... she was my lover,"

"I see. In our culture, it is fine for two women and even two men to love each other. We encourage the people of the ocean to live their true lives as is expected. It is only on the land that I've come to learn such thing is quomodo ego dico verba?" He trailed off, gesturing with his large hands.

"Frowned on... frowned pond,"

Colette laughed and it was the first time in nearly three days that she'd genuinely done it and in turn, she made the soldier laugh. "Frowned upon?" She inquired with an arched brow when she realized what the young man tried to say. Aenon's blue eyes lit up when he heard that the girl understood what he'd meant.

"Sic. Yes, frowned upon. Here on land, such love is frowned upon,"

"Not everywhere though. Everyone I knew was fine with me being gay, but I understand what you mean. Some people in other parts of the world still can't wrap their minds around the existence of queer people and the love they experience."

"That is why you should come with us. As the chosen one, the queen picked by the Avalon herself, you will never have to worry anymore. You can marry in any of the oceans or the seas, there are plenty suitors for you,"

Colette frowned at the man's words and for a moment she was irritated to the point of saying something. How could he say such things to her? Did he not understand the significance of Adira's presence in her life, in everyone's life? For him to just casually mention her ability to freely engage in whatever dating spree she needed when her love had died only a day prior was a bit insensitive but then she remembered Adira was somewhat of a stranger to the man. She was too but it was expected of him and everyone else to treat her with respect and loyalty since she was bound to the Avalon.