Chapter Thirty

Arms folded across her chest with a focused gaze, brown eyes studied the two people who somehow found their way to the property. Oblivious, gullible, human, Petra descried the man and woman as they looked around, their heads swivelled in all directions as they took in the house that sat on the land stretching for a few aces.

The reason the woman bought the place first and foremost was because it was remote and secured but looking at the humans at the wood's edge, on her property the vampire tilted her head in irritation and intrigue.

It was obvious the two people were either were hiking or camping. They had bags on their backs, their sweat-soaked tops clung to their bodies. There were water bottles hooked to their bags along with other obvious belongings that left the impression that they were out enjoying nature.

They were a couple the vampire thought observing through the windows there within her kitchen. The two people quarrelled as they stomped through her backyard and the sounds of their argument drifted over to where she was.

"You said you knew Kevin!" The woman hissed at her counterpart who completely ignored her.

"I did, okay but I may have miscalculated."

"Yeah, you did. I can't believe I allowed you to talk me into this. I listened to you and left my phone at home just to get lost in the middle of nofuckingwhere,"

"Can you please just let me figure this out?" The man snapped in annoyance. "Shit! Just give me a moment. There must be someone at home. We can ask them for a ride or even get directions, we shouldn't be too far away from a highway or something being that this house is here,"

"Can't you see this place is empty?" The woman with the glasses tilted her back as she scrutinized the two-story building. It was a nice place she thought but it looked tenebrous.

Inside, Petra was intrigued by the entire exchange: the nagging girlfriend, the annoyed, halfwit man who led them around her home was always an interesting dynamic but what was most important in that situation was that she was hungry, lustful.

Petra licked her lips at the thought of how easy it was— dinner was right there, dinner found its way to her without her even lifting a finger and she decided to play the role of a good Samaritan.

As she walked off intending to get the two people to come closer so she didn't have to face the sun, a loud buzz came out of nowhere that drew her attention.

Petra's eyes flickered in the direction despite her being halfway across the room.

In annoyance, the woman realized that her phone was the source of this buzz and for several seconds she stood ruminating, watching it ring. Should she ignore it and head to the door, inviting the guests in or should she attend to it?

It so happened that she didn't have much of a choice because the vibration continued against the wooden surface the device sat on and before it could buzz its way off the table, she was by its side.

"Hello,"

When the vampire answered she was met with silence until a familiar voice was heard. All lustful thoughts dissipated as Petra blinked rapidly. It's as if she gained a moment of abject clarity; she remembered the promise of her staying clear from hurting humans.

A sour taste presented itself in her mouth at the thought of her nearly going against her words.

Beth cleared her throat again and although it being a simple act, Petra beamed brightly— so the gods decided to smile upon her yet again and at the right moment?

"Am I interrupting anything important?" Questioned the distinct voice.

"Never, I always have time for you,"