Chapter Sixty

Darkness, for as far and as wide as her eyes knew exited was the reality. A place so void and quiet almost to the point of driving her mad was her punishment, but her resolve was yet to crumble. Adira, sat there with her feet tucked beneath her, her thumbs incessantly twirling around each other, she contemplated. She knew many things about the place she was trapped in because she'd been in the vicinity for the longest while and she tried walking, for a long time only to not go anywhere. She didn't panic at this notion and that was simply because she knew she was dead and in death, everything was obscure and unusual.

The queen knew she was dead, she knew the moment she'd been struck by that spear that she would succumb to the euphoria of it, it was just a matter of how fast. She had been around dead people, millions of times, she'd guided many back from the dead, assisting others to die, so when her turn had finally come, the woman was prepared. It was painful, the dying that is but death was sweet. It was cold for a moment, then it began to tingle and the best feelings erupted throughout her body. Death smelled of something similar to alcohol, but alcohol made from a beautifully scented flower. Fear wasn't a thing because unlike many others she knew what resided beyond death, she'd seen it but for her in that reality, purgatory wasn't the place she expected to be in. Hell was home to her, so in her final moments it was where she expected to lift her eyes, but even hell eloped. It was as if she was no longer wanted or so she felt as she sat there in utter darkness. For the first time in her life, she didn't know what was the next step. The devil hadn't visited her, nor any of the creators and that was a very troubling thought. So in that desolate, quiet place, the woman tried to distract her raging thoughts with things other than her dilemma. Colette, she thought.

Colette must've been so devastated by her demise. The poor girl probably cried her eyes out as she existed in this prison and she wondered who was there to console her. She knew not to get her hopes up too high, but Adira imagined Petra would've taken the role. It was crazy to even entertain in her thoughts but she knew Petra more than anyone else; she was prideful, stubborn and unpredictable but she had a heart despite what many had to say. Sure, Colette's family would've been there for her but Petra knew everything about their relationship and her life and if anyone could've been there for her love it was the older woman, so in her little corner, Adira prayed for these things, she hoped.

She prayed for her girl to live a happy and long life even though she didn't want that. She knew it was selfish to say or entertain but she did not want her love to replace her, but she did want her to be happy in other aspects of life. She wished her revenants well, and she blessed them and whatever endeavours they chased. Adira wished that even in death, Mclean and Isaac were not tormented as much and she hoped that she served them well. She wished Petra and her love would find happiness in each other, for they deserved such things. She wished Samuel would find purpose in life and possibly consider taking up a position among his peers. Adira wished nothing but wonderful experiences and kindness for the people she had in her circle, but lastly, she wished they would forgive her for not keeping them safe enough during the war. 

Amid her thoughts of lamentation and allotting courtesies, the woman was thrown off by the sound of footsteps. They were soft at first, and they came from all around but they became heavier the closer they got. They became so loud and booming, Adira needed to cover her ears to drown some of the noise. She shrieked feeling pain surge deep inside of her head due to these heavy steps.

Almost immediately the sounds dissipate, causing Adira to retrieve her palms from her ears, her gaze flickering around in the dark, but she could feel tears in her eyes. Truly she expected visitors in the afterlife, perhaps Mclean, Satan, or even William. She knew at some point someone was going to intervene in her peace and she was right. Unexpectedly, eyes, burning bright like embers flashed from above, and she gazed up, recognizing them. They burned until the space between her and them illuminated due to this being conjuring fire within their palms. The fire lingered as they glared down, so disappointed, yet so relieved to have found her.