Chapter Forty- Two

There were boisterous sounds that caused the girl to jump so violently from her slumber, she nearly pushed the resting dog at her side off the bed.

The sound of people laughing and cursing slipped into the space she was in somewhat muffled, forcing her and Lottie to glance at each other as the noise grew and grew.

"Don't worry, if they're back again I'll make sure no one pets you. I know how overwhelmed you were from that time," the girl said to the whining dog who refused to follow her as she climbed out of bed.

Lottie was overwhelmed from that night the queen invited the tens of people to the manor and her owner understood why. As Colette was in the thick of things, someone found the dog and had brought her down. Several strangers then thought giving her kisses and belly scratches was a good idea and it was, Lottie just grew tired of the attention and the girl needed to rescue her.

To Colette's surprise, when she'd opened the door to her room and stepped out into the hall alone, there were two strange men positioned opposite each other. They glanced at her as she stood there, inevitably they bowed at her and she frowned.

The noise on the outside was way worse and she wondered how the men weren't troubled by it.

"How long have you two been here?"

Silence graced her and the brunette was taken aback. Slowly arching a brow, she observed the revenants closely.

"What is that ruckus?" She attempted again and they were as silent as two statues.

Neither of them responded and it annoyed the girl. But it wasn't because they didn't want to say anything, they too didn't know what was happening for they stood there the entirety of the night without moving. They merely looked away from the brunette as if they were trained to just stand there.

"How rude," whispered the girl and briskly followed the sounds of what she quickly realized was a celebration.  

The people gathered inside of the manor weren't as many as that night but the number was still significant. They wore little to no clothing and some even had bruises and gashes about their body.

Colette tried to stay out of sight over the fear of drawing too much attention to herself but unexpectedly she bumped into a familiar face and one she hadn't seen in weeks.

"Oliver?" The girl questioned, almost screaming the young man's name after spotting him standing alone.

The brunette snapped his head around and searched for the source that yelled for him. For a moment he was just as surprised to see the girl standing there with the morning light against her face that he grinned as he made a detour to her.

"Miss Rivers," he replied and without warning the Colette raced over and flung her arms around him, squeezing him to her body in a tight hug.

"You were the last person I expected to find down here," she pinched his cheek.

"I had no idea you were here either, I thought you might've gone with her majesty," answered the young man.

Colette couldn't help but genuinely smile as she observed him. She also didn't understand what he meant about her being with Adira— did the woman go somewhere without telling her?

Shaking the thought away from her mind, the girl grinned over to the oddly dressed revenant. He looked so healthy and quickly she dragged him off, away from the strange faces that studied them both until they were alone in a room with couches and a nice table.

"You disappeared," said Colette when she forced Oliver to sit with her.

"I did," nodded the timid revenant.