Chapter Thirty- Five

Another revenant, Noah, stepped forward and he said,

"Never mind how she got past the guards, she will know that you're here, her majesty's mother. She's like a witch with crazy abilities, she'll sense that you're here and show up, so you should leave quickly," he warned, his eyes darting around the room.

"Is that so, you think I'm a witch?" A familiar voice then drawled in seconds and all eyes including Colette's darted around the room in an attempt to find the woman.

Her eerie chuckle filled the vicinity, sounding as if she was here then there and here again.

It took several minutes for them to find her and when they did, Isabella came from around the corner, her appearance causing most of the revenants to try and disperse but she and the two guards at her side blocked them from escaping.

"Why are we leaving so suddenly, I thought we were interacting, well isn't that what you cretins were doing?" She questioned, entering the large space and thriving off of the fears of the people she often terrorized for fun.

"I see we have company," Isabella spoke again, her crystal gaze observing Colette with intrigue. "I'm surprised you made it past the citadel guards without them knowing sweetheart, then again their attention span is as sharp as a newborn, I wouldn't expect them to know anything those lazy beasts,"

Isabella swayed until she was in the centre of the small gathering of people where she stood towering over them all but her attention was to the fair brunette with the big puppy eyes that screamed innocence.

"Hello darling," she greeted Colette directly and then locked down at the beautiful dog. "And hello to you too star girl," she grinned genuinely.

The woman took a liking to the dog and not because she wanted to but because the feisty ginger and white fur coated animal claimed her first. Animals are often intuitive creatures and they know exactly who hates them only to go over to that individual and befriend them, it's what happened to her and the devil wasn't even annoyed that this beauty chose her as her pet.

"Stay away from Lottie," Colette warned and Isabella feigned her hurt. The woman touched her sparkling chest with her long fingers, her brows drawn down in an exaggerated frown.

"Why, what have I done to deserve such blatant hostility?" She mocked, her frown changing from that to a grin.

She made the revenants uncomfortable in that waking second and she fed off of that, it made her feel accomplished.

"Was there a reason you and that wretched daughter of mine showed up here, was it to surrender to the council? Was it to propitiate?" Questioned the devil. She walked around the younger woman, observing her through the corner of her eye.

At that point, Colette turned to the revenants and they glared with expectant eyes. She felt so bad being the one to bear the news but she figured that was why Adira left her there, someone needed to disclose what they learned and it made sense that it was her, she learned of it first.

"They..." She paused, thinking of how to execute what went on in her head and she panicked. Colette never had to deliver such devastating news to anyone before, so she had no clue where to start. What if the revenants got mad at her? What if they didn't believe or became hostile?

"Someone hurt Mclean... really bad," she revealed inevitably once the words were able to piece together in her head enough to make sense.

The gasps and murmurs afterwards were plentiful.

"When did that happen?"

"How could Adira let that happen?"

"Is he alright?"