Chapter Twenty- Seven

The look on Colette's face was that of scorn and hatred and the way those two emotions blended so strongly caused her visage to appear darker, evil. And Isabella noticed the resentment she received and in response to it, she kept eye contact with the girl, never wavering in her confidence or allowing herself to be intimidated.

The wine glass that laid motionless on the table was brought to her crimson lips and she sipped gracefully. The silence that sat among them lingered until Isabella put the wine down again.

"Enrique!" the woman eventually called out sharply and seconds later her young assistant appeared at the sound of his mistress' booming voice. It seemed as though he jogged because for a few seconds the man hyperventilated as he stood with his hands to his side.

"Yes, mistress?" He questioned his gaze to the woman whose eyes he couldn't see.

"Fetch miss Rivers a cold compress," Isabella ordered and the young warlock bowed quickly. Enrique didn't need further instructions, he went about his business and came back seconds later with an ice pack on a platter. He was more efficient than a lot of people thought the brunette who sat quietly through the whole exchange.

Extending it to Colette when he returned, Enrique seemed to be the only one who truly empathized with the girl—he saw the marks on her shoulder and knew immediately who it came from but he said nothing about it.

"Your cold compress miss,"

Colette was still so emotional at the entire exchange, she couldn't help it. Her lips quivered, her eyes watered and casually she wiped the tears away while sniffing. She missed Adira, she missed having the woman there to protect her. Colette knew for a fact if her majesty was there Isabella would've never laid a finger on her.

But she wasn't there, no one was.

Taking the object that the man offered, Colette looked him in the eyes and was taken aback to see concern written extensively on his face. She couldn't lie, being so close to him, being exposed to his aura reminded her of Oliver. Whatever happened to the poor boy thought the brunette. Was he even safe? Did the vampires get to him? She hoped not.

"Thank you," she feigned a smile over to the man with the neatly trimmed hair and he smiled at her with the gentlest smile he could muster.

The young warlock didn't wait around when he had completed his duty, instead, he quickly left the two women alone again.

In his absence, Colette carefully placed the cold material on her bruised arm. She winced upon the impact of the cold against her flesh.

"I can get carried away at times," said the sultry voice as an indirect apology and Colette ignored it.

"But you bruise so easily," added Isabella as a way to deflect that she held the girl a little too harshly.

"Maybe you should stop touching me then," muttered Colette and then there was dead silence again and this silence wasn't like the silence she would encounter with other people, no, it was extremely awkward, tangible. She knew and could tell that Isabella was also affected by their proximity and acquaintance because why else would she look so tense and troubled.

"I know you don't like this just as much as I do, it's why I wish you would let me go. I could tell this is making you uncomfortable,"

"I thought I'd be able to figure out what was so special about you. I thought I could learn about the thing that has Adira so hooked," stated Isabella and Colette fell quiet at her confession.

"Truth be told," the older woman sat up, taking her sunglasses from her face. The bright sunlight caused her eyes to look like honey left out in the sun, they were so gentle and warm. But there was a frown on the woman's scarred brows that aligned with her bewilderment and it did not stop Colette from finding her breathtaking.