Chapter Forty- Four

Taken aback by the tears that stained her pillows, the brunette quickly got up the second she registered the tears and ran to the bathroom just outside of her room. Glad that she didn't encounter either of her siblings, she observed herself in the familiar mirror. Her eyes and face were so puffy she felt like she might've gotten an allergic reaction from something she ate. However, flashes of that odd dream surfaced within her mind and she stood, absentminded.

Bit by bit, Colette garnered the pieces on why she cried in her sleep. It was all so unexpected yet surreal but she finally met the Avalon after weeks of being bound to the spirit.

Such an introduction was good but it turned sour at the latter. What even was the meaning? Could it be that subconsciously she was hurting over the way she and Adira left things? Was something going to happen to the revenant queen? Would she get hurt?

Turning the faucet, cold water rushed out and into the girl's palm which she collected. She scooped it, splashing her face with it until she felt like she might be better.

Colette gazed at herself and something felt different. It's like she could see the change in her soul. Her eyes looked clearer so suddenly and she felt this buzz throughout her body she'd never felt before. It was as if every cell in her body recognized that there was something else powering them too.

She quickly shook the intense high she started to feel the longer she tapped into this energy her body experienced. She then attempted to turn the faucet off but before she reached it, somehow it turned itself off.

Colette wasn't freaked by the incident because she knew she had abilities but it rarely ever manifested without external stimulation. What could be the reason for her doing that the girl asked herself but before the answer she left the bathroom, hustling back to her old room. The moment she entered she realized mid-contemplation that there was an incessant buzzing that filled the quiet room. It took her a moment to place that it was her phone that made this hum.

Quickly, she grabbed the device from the nightstand since she felt like it might've been Adira. The girl answered in a rush.

"Hey, I'm so sorry-"

"I figured it might've been you that called," said the familiar voice and immediately Colette froze.

She didn't expect that, at least not at that hour. Beth reaching out as a form of reciprocation was unexpected and odd but the girl was so glad she did. It meant that all hope wasn't last, it meant that she too still had some amount of civility left or was at least a tad curious.

"Yeah, um. I've been trying to reach you since last night, sorry if I annoyed you."

"I saw that." Said Beth in the most deadpanned tone and there was silence as both young women waited to be told something by the other.

Colette expected to be cursed at for blowing up the girl's phone for no apparent reason whereas Beth wanted to know if something happened; was she sick? Did she get hurt? Was she reaching out so they could be mature about what happened? The girl knew some people were like that, after something went wrong they felt like the only way they could garner closure is through conversation and dissection of a past issue.

"Why though?" Asked the blonde on the other line. "Why now?"

"I... I wanted us to talk."

There was regret that surfaced for a second or two. Colette felt like she shouldn't have let her mother's opinions incite her to make herself a fool but it was too late to turn back now she thought.

A nervous chuckle came from Beth's line. "Talk, about what?"

"Everything. I wanted us to talk about how things ended between us. I wanted to apologize for my part in making you miserable and I wanted to make sure that all was well with you,"