Chapter Eighteen

"I have an idea. You took your niece in, Chris. Your brother mean the world to you." Harry said. "He...was all I had left, Harry. It's just me and her...and what am I suppose to tell her when she's older?" He whispered. "Nothing...Until she's at an age she will understand. She will also love you for taking her, rather then throwing her into the program. You know I am here, and Brittany will love it meet her. She might even give you a knew painting." Harry smiled. "Harry, these must of taken days." Chris said. "And she enjoyed every moment of it. She is trying to get me to get her a hammock for her room rather then her loft bed. She wants to set up her easel in her room." Harry said.  "Why not a bigger room?" Chris asked. "She doesn't want a bigger room, she likes her small little area. Just doesn't always like the idea of sleep. I think we are back in that phase. I'm hoping to work something out with the girls. Maybe she could just sleep in their room? I'm unsure of how she'll feel about that." Harry said. "She is your girl, I'm sure if you just ask her she would." Chris said. "I want...to keep her comfortable." Harry admitted. "I understand she came form a bad background?" Chris frown and Harry turned to be sure Brittany wasn't in ear shot. "Their mother died form complications form a home birth of twins. She's like a little clone of her mama, and her father took it out on her...That ended with him raping her, before she locked him out of their house. She was only caught because she left to get food for them, nobody here even knew he had children." Harry said. "She...has adjusted well...I am glad she found you and your hubby." Chris said. "She has her troubles...that includes shorts and a belt on under her dress. She is still broken, but I think she's trying to out do her mother's intelligence." Harry said. "I would love to see that. She is such...a very kind hearted girl, thank her, again, for me." Chris said.

The families? Called over the next two days, to take Brittany and asked her to paint more pictures. Pictures they were willing to pay her for, but she denied the payment. She enjoyed her hours painting and was up at one am working on one that night. She didn't notice. She stood at her easel, that was in the spot her loft bed was once in. She convinced her new big brothers to move it out of her room. Harry was a little upset, because she lied to them. They thought Harry had arroved it, but Harry didn't stay upset to long. Seeing her paint, draw, read or any of the things she done caused her to smile. Harry loved that smile, because it was a true smile. He loved her slightly crooked bottom teeth, knowing she would need braces later on.
Harry smelt the candle she had burning, and see the blue paint on her cheek. Her long hair done in a messy bun, with a paint brush tucked on her right ear that dripped a little green paint on her bare foot. She smiled, lending down to grab the new colour when she seen the shadows. She rested on her left knee before turning, her right leg extended out, her knee having trouble bending. A problem she hasn't really talked about because it came and go. "Pa!" She said kind of happily. "You said very wide awake for it being one in the morning." Harry laughed, walking into the room. "It's already one? Wow." She said, grabbing the off green, Harry wasn't sure what shade of green it was. "When did you start your project?" Harry asked. "After dinner! I'm nearly done. It will be ready by breakfast!" She said. "You have school tomorrow." Harry said. "I know, pa." She said and Harry seen she wasn't getting up. "Bri, you okay?" Harry asked and she nodded. Harry however, locked his arms under her armpits and pulled her upright. "What's the matter with your leg, Bri?" He asked, as she started to paint. "Nothing." She whispered, before her wrist got grabbed, stopping her form painting. "Bri." Harry said. "I... don't know. Comes and goes." She mumbled. "When did it start?" Harry asked. "The... first time he hit me...I fell. He... took me...to some pre-med student. She reset my knee, but on and off it's hurts...or gets real puffy...I learn to drained it myself..." She admitted. "I'm taking you to see a proper doctor for your knee. Just where do you plan on sleeping?" Harry then said to chance the subject. "I have my sleeping bag. Daddy said whenever would be fine, as long as I asleep." She said, starting to paint again. "You're having trouble sleeping again." Harry said. "A little...But nothing to big." She admitted, getting a kiss on her head. "You can always come lay in our room. I rather that then you miss out on your sleep." Harry said. "I feel fine, pa." Brittany said. "Make your pa feel better." Harry said. "After I finish my painting, Pa. It's already started." She half whined. "Alright. Your grades nor your mood as been effected. However, that changes...I will be forced to intervene." Harry said, giving her head a kiss. "I understand, pa." Brittany said. "How many paintings are you going to work on for those families?" Harry asked. "I have a few requests. Enough to keep me busy for a while." She smiled. "You are such a sweet girl, never forget that." Harry said, before seeing a painting sticking out form behind one of her bookshelves. "Now...why are you hiding a painting?" Harry asked. "Because...I'm not ready to hang it yet...I am to much like my mama." She mumbled.