Keep Your Friends Close and Your Enemies Closer

We are all alone in ways no one understands
- perry poetry

~
~
~
Chapter 55
Shawn's POV

"Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello reportedly broke up. The 22 year old pop star was spotted in a restaurant. Source says the Havana singer called off the engagement. Wedding no more? St—"

Someone suddenly close my laptop. I was my mom.

"You shouldn't watch that kind of news. It won't help your situation."

I sit back on my chair, jiggling the engagement ring on my finger. "I'm fine mom. Besides it's just a rumor."

Her eyebrows furrowed, confused by my words. "Explain."

"Simple. The wedding will go on." My dad suddenly butt in, joining us in the living room. "I will help Shawn get back what's originally his."

I grin. This is why I love my father. He's so supportive to everything I do and want unlike my mother. Don't get me wrong. She's also supportive but not much like my dad.

"What is this, Manuel? What did you do?"

"Nothing. Yet."

"Relax, mom. Dad just backed me up in the meeting yesterday. I asked them to pair me with Camila for PR, that's all. I will take her back, mom."

"Camila is already happy. Let her live and decide for herself."

"Happy?" Dad scoff at my mother's statement, "With who? With that bastard?"

"Don't talk to Lauren like that."

"We all know Camila belongs to Shawn. Our son is permanent, she's just temporary Karen."

"Give the girl a break, Manuel. You've tortured her long enough. Stop."

I don't understand what they're talking about but the fact that Lauren slowly stealing my mother away from me just like how she stole Camila rings a bell to me. She can't just fucking walk back in everyone's lives, in my life especially, and take away every person who means the absolute world to me. And just by thinking that my mom basically siding with that bitch instead of supporting me, his own son, boils my blood in anger.

"Why are you siding her, mom?! Lauren stole Camila from me! She stole my fucking fiancée and here you are fighting for her!"

"I am not siding anyone, okay?"

"Then why do you care about her?!" I can't help not to raise my voice. I've been bottling this feeling up for a very long time now. She thinks I don't know but I do— Lauren is her favorite. Lauren is always the good kid in her eyes. Lauren this and Lauren that. That fucking Lauren!

"Shawn, don't talk to your mother like that." Dad tries to get in the middle but I completely ignore him.

"No! I gotta say this. Ever since we were a little you're always siding Lauren. Lauren is always the good kid in your eyes. She's always the fucking star! And me? Fuck, I am nothing to you!"

"That's not true, Shawn."

"Yes, it is! If you could just swap me with her then I'm sure you'll do it! She's your favorite kid, right?!"

I grab my stuff and storm off the room. Mom called my name thrice but I didn't bother to stop myself from walking away nor look back at her. I headed straight to my room and slam the door behind me.

I throw my stuff across the room before I flop down to my bed. I let the defying silence swallow me until I felt my phone buzzed in from my pocket. I pulled it out and answer the call.