I Will See You on the Finish Line

Don't ever think that everyone who leaves wants to.
- Rachel Workhin

~
~
~
Chapter 64
Lauren's POV

"I took for granted, all the times
That I thought would last somehow
I hear the laughter, I taste the tears

But I can't get near you now
Oh, can't you see it baby
You've got me going crazy

Wherever you go
Whatever you do
I will be right here waiting for you

Whatever it takes
Or how my heart breaks
I will be right here waiting for you.."

I watched at how Camila effortlessly play the piano and do the harmonious sound of the song with my jaw dropped. She's literally born to do this thing and I am beyond proud to see her making her dream come true. But aside from her piano skills, there's one thing I noticed throughout her performance— her brown eyes that screams sadness, hopeful, and longing all at the same time. I know she chose to cover that song for a reason.

This is the reason.

She's singing the song so passionately and so raw that it comes to the point where I catch the glimpse of her tears rolling down to her cheeks that made her close her eyes in attempt to cover it up. And even though her brown eyes are out of sight, her face obviously reflect pain— pain that I brought to her.

And like a wave, it hits me all at the same time that I could feel my body breaking at the amount of memories that washed over me. It was a very overwhelming feeling and at the same time bittersweet.

And as I remember everything and every words clearly, I realized something; I love you doesn't mean "I'll stay" and I miss you doesn't mean "I'm coming back". This is our reality now. This how our story written in the stars; this is how our love story suppose to begin and end. The cruel truth is, sometimes we don't end up with the person we love so much. The cruel truth is, sometimes love doesn't conquer everything you stumble along the way. Sometimes, love alone is not enough to keep two people alive.

That's how life works and sometimes we need to learn to accept and embrace it fully because that's what makes life exciting and scary and happy all at the same time. It's a kind of pill that was so hard to swallow that everyone refuses and avoided it as possible as they could. And I think that's why some people tend to fell In love with books. Because in that way they escape the bittersweet thing called reality of life. In books, they find the thing that real life doesn't have— happy endings.

If love can really conquer everything and happy endings exist then the word "divorce" shouldn't exist today. This is not a Disney movie where you end up together with your ride or die partner. This is real life. And in real life endings aren't always neat, whether they're happy endings or whether they're sad endings.

Not every story has a happy ending. And such stories are mostly forgotten with the thought of sadness is a part of life. Happy stories give hope and sad stories show us the mirror.

But as for Camila and I, I don't want to put any label in it because if I do then it'll just make me feel more sad. Maybe it's not about the ending. Maybe it's about the story; and even though in the end it left us with a broken heart, it won't change the fact that it's one hell of a story that I'll keep re-reading for the rest of my life.

I felt my phone vibrate against my pocket that snapped me out from my thoughts. I fished it out from my pocket and smile grew to my lips upon seeing my son's name on the caller ID.

I immediately answered it.

"Mom!!! I missed you so much!" Clark squealed on the other line. He started jumping up and down while smiling from ear to ear with tears on his eyes.