Friendships and Closure

Let's not waste the rest of our lives wondering what could've been.
- perry poetry

~
~
~
Chapter 48
Camila's POV

"We should go now, Clara."

And suddenly, silence fell upon the room. I could feel my heart stomping in my chest. Why do I feel sad all of a sudden? It's like everything I did to her bounced back to me. I feel pity for Lauren. I feel sad for her. I feel everything I wasn't suppose to feel.

And then I heard a series of footsteps coming out of the room. Adrenaline rush on me as I quickly turn to the bulletin board near Lauren's room. The Jaureguis walked out of the room with Mike gripping on Clara's arm who's continuously crying.

I adjust my cap as I watched them walk down the hallway. Now everything Lauren told me in San Francisco finally makes sense. Why they never cared about her as much as they cared to her siblings. This is the reason why. Lauren was never their own. And in a world full of happy families, Lauren was all alone. She had nothing but herself and for some unexplainable reason, the thought somehow clenched my heart.

As soon as I make sure they're really gone, I turn around to step inside Lauren's room but I was startled when I saw her standing by the door frame.

"Lauren!" I exclaimed.

She looked at me dead in the eyes before walking pass me without saying any word. That looked in her eyes— the same coldness, same anger, same hatred... I know that all very well.

Knowing how she could be reckless whenever she's angry, I followed her without thinking twice. Lauren was walking so fast that I'm practically running after her. At the hospital door, Lauren suddenly stopped and I finally manage to catch up on her.

"Lauren, you need to calm down." I spoke out of worriedness, "Don't do something stupid."

Lauren turns her gaze to me, "What do you think I'll do?" It's not a question but rather a challenge. One wrong answer and you're dead.

"You know what you could do when you're being like this."

"Being like what?"

"Lauren—"

"A monster?"

"I didn't say that."

"Clearly."

"I know you're not like that anymore. I know you're far more better than the person you used to be."

Lauren didn't say anything. Her eyes are pierce straight ahead so I follow where she's looking at and there, I saw the Jaureguis.

"But what about Lauren? Dad she needs us!"

"Just get in the damn car, Chris!"

"Mom! Say something!"

Clara remains silent as Mike shoved both of them inside the car and drive away. I turn my gaze to look at Lauren and there are tears forming in her eyes as her expression slowly getting soft.

"I'm all alone." I heard her mumbled. Her voice nearly breaks.

"No, you're not." I said that made Lauren looked towards my direction, "You're not alone, Lauren."