8

Call Me Yours
▔▔▔▔
Chapter Eight: Marauder's Map

On the Saturday morning of the Hogsmeade trip, Snow was falling with Christmas around the corner. Harry bid goodbye to Y/n, who was going to Hogsmeade just to see Honeydukes, Ron and Hermione.

Who were wrapped in cloaks and scarves, then turned up the marble staircase alone, and headed back towards Gryffindor Tower. Snow had fallen outside the windows, and the castle was still and quiet. "Psst – Harry!"

He turned, halfway along the third-floor corridor, to see Fred and George peering out at him from behind a statue of a humpbacked, one-eyed witch. "What are you doing?" said Harry curiously. "How come you're not going to Hogsmeade?" 

"We've come to give you a bit of festive cheer before we go, and I go on my date with Y/n," said Fred, with a joking wink. Harry looked around uncomfortably. "Come in here ..."

He nodded towards an empty classroom to the left of the one-eyed statue. Harry followed Fred and George inside. George closed the door quietly and then turned, beaming, to look at Harry.

"Early Christmas present for you, Harry," he said. Fred pulled something from inside his cloak with a flourish and laid it on one of the desks. It was a large, square, very worn piece of parchment with nothing written on it. 

Harry, suspecting one of Fred and George's jokes, stared at it. "What's that supposed to be?" Harry asked. 

"This, Harry, is the secret of our success,' said George, patting the parchment fondly.

"It's a wrench, giving it to you," said Fred, "but we decided last night, your need's greater than ours." 

"But we've decided your need's greater than ours. George, if you will..." 

George takes out his wand and pointed it at the piece of parchment. "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good." George touches his wand to the parchment lines surface in the fibre of the paper, spread like veins. 

Harry reads the curious words at the top: "'Messrs Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs are proud to present The Marauder's Map'...?" 

"Ah... Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs. We owe them so much. Anyway, we know it off by heart,' said George."We bequeath it to you. We don't really need it anymore." 

"Noblemen, working tirelessly to help a new generation of law-breakers," said Fred solemnly.

"Right," said George briskly, "don't forget to wipe it after you've used it –"

"-or anyone can read it," Fred said warningly. "Just tap it again and say, "Mischief managed!" And it'll go blank. So, young Harry," said Fred, in an uncanny impersonation of Percy, "mind you behave yourself."

"See you in Honeydukes," said George, winking. They left the room, both smirking in a satisfied sort of way.

Harry stood there, gazing at the miraculous map. He watched the tiny ink Mrs Norris turn left and pause to sniff at something on the floor. 

If Filch really didn't know he wouldn't have to pass the Dementors at all But even as he stood there, flooded with excitement, something Harry had once heard Mr Weasley say came floating out of his memory. 

Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where it keeps its brain.

This map was one of those dangerous magical objects Mr Weasley had been warning against Aids to Magical mischief-makers but then.