26

Call Me Yours
▔▔▔▔▔
Chapter Twenty-Six: The Ministry 

Y/n looked around and, a split second later, dived away from the table. Fred and George had bewitched an enormous cauldron of stew, an iron flagon of butterbeer, and a heavy wooden breadboard, complete with knife, to hurtle through the air toward them. 

The stew skidded the length of the table and came to a halt just before the end, leaving a long black burn on the wooden surface, the flagon of butterbeer fell with a crash, spilling its contents everywhere, and the bread knife slipped off the board and landed, point down and quivering ominously, exactly where Sirius's right hand had been seconds before.

"FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE!" screamed Mrs Weasley. "THERE WAS NO NEED — I'VE HAD ENOUGH OF THIS — JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE ALLOWED TO USE MAGIC NOW YOU DON'T HAVE TO WHIP YOUR WANDS OUT FOR EVERY TINY LITTLE THING!"

"We were just trying to save a bit of time!" said Fred, hurrying forward and wrenching the bread knife out of the table. "Sorry Sirius, mate — didn't mean to —"

Y/n grinned looking down before turning back to Hermione, Ginny and Tonks. Crookshanks had given an angry hiss and shot off under the dresser, from whence his large yellow eyes glowed in the darkness. 

"Boys," Mr Weasley said, lifting the stew back into the middle of

the table, "your mother's right, you're supposed to show a sense of responsibility now you've come of age —"

"none of your brothers caused this sort of trouble!" Mrs Weasley raged at the twins, slamming a fresh flagon of butterbeer onto the table and spilling almost as much again. "Bill didn't feel the need to Apparate every few feet! Charlie didn't Charm everything he met! Percy"

She stopped dead, catching her breath with a frightened look at her husband, whose expression was suddenly wooden. "Let's eat," said Bill quickly.

"It looks wonderful, Molly," said Lupin, ladling stew onto a plate for her and handing it across the table.

For a few minutes there was silence but for the chink of plates and cutlery and the scraping of chairs as everyone settled down to their food. "Everything okay?" Y/n asked the twins. They both nodded before continuing to eat. 

Everyone was doing their own thing, as Tonks was entertaining Hermione and Ginny by transforming her nose between mouthfuls. Screwing up her eyes each time with the same pained expression she had worn back in Harry's bedroom, her nose swelled to a beaklike protuberance like Snape's, shrank to something resembling a button mushroom, and then sprouted a great deal of hair from each nostril. 

Apparently, this was a regular mealtime entertainment because after a while Hermione and Ginny started requesting their favourite noses. Harry looked over to Y/n peacefully eating and talking to Fred and George. "Y/n," Harry said. 

She turned to him, putting her glass of water down, "Yes, Harry" She said sweetly. His conversation with her earlier didn't sit right with him. 

"I'm sorry, for yelling at you...all earlier..." Harry apologized, "I was just mad, that Dumbledore-" Y/n just nodded.

"I understand...It's okay" She uttered looking at him with a grin, He looked at her as she went back to eating, and talking to the twins. 

Three helpings of rhubarb crumble and custard later, Y/n was just sitting around having conversations with everyone. Mr Weasley was leaning back in his chair, looking replete and relaxed, Tonks was yawning widely, her nose now back to normal, and Ginny, who had lured Crookshanks out from under the dresser, was sitting cross-legged on the floor, rolling butterbeer corks for him to chase. "Nearly time for bed, I think," said Mrs Weasley on a yawn.