55

Call Me Yours
▔▔▔▔▔
Fifty-Five: Kreacher's Side

Seconds later Y/n's lungs expanded gratefully, and she opened her eyes: They were now standing in the middle of a familiar small and shabby square. Tall, dilapidated houses looked down on them from every side.

Number twelve was visible to them, for they had been told of its existence by Dumbledore, its Secret-Keeper, and they rushed toward it, checking every few yards that they were not being followed or observed.

They raced up the stone steps, and Harry tapped the front door once with his wand. They heard a series of metallic clicks and the clatter of a chain, then the door swung open with a creak and they hurried over the threshold. As Harry closed the door behind them, the old-fashioned gas lamps sprang into life, casting flickering light along the length of the hallway.

It looked just as Harry remembered it: eerie, cobwebbed, the outlines of the house-elf heads on the wall throwing odd shadows up the staircase. "Do you think Sirius and Remus are here?" Y/n muttered to her friends.

Harry shook his head, holding onto the girls' hand. "They are most likely still at the burrow," Said Hermione.

The gas lamps spring to life, illuminating a narrow cobwebbed hallway. The quartet glance about, then Harry takes a step forward. "Severus Snape?" Moody's voice echoed throughout the apartment.

Harry muttered, "Mad-Eye...?" A gust of cold weather swept through the hallway, making the trio's tongues curl back in their mouths. The shadows at the end of the hall shift, tall, dust-coloured and terrible-looking things rise from the carpet, then rush toward them. There is Dumbledore, but he's become a ghost: worm-eaten and with empty eyes, a corpse come to life.

It raises its wand and then explodes in a great cloud of dust, swirling like mist in the corridor, drifting back to the carpet. "What was that about?"

"Mad-eye's doing, I'd guess. In case Snape decided to come snooping." Hermione pointed out. Just then, a floorboard creaks. The quartet stiffen.

Slowly, Y/n draws her wand, peers into the shadows. "Homenum revelio." Nothing. Y/n lowers her wand. "It's empty...not even Sirius is here..."

Ron and Harry both exchanged looks before Hermione turned to them, "It's a spell to reveal human presence." She extends her hand, watches the settling dust stream through her fingers. Y/n walked more forward then everyone.

Hermione waved her wand to ignite the old gas lamps, then, shivering slightly in the drafty room, she perched on the sofa, her arms wrapped tightly around her. Ron crossed to the window and moved the heavy velvet curtains aside an inch.

"Can't see anyone out there," he reported.

She joined him out the window, looking over his shoulder. "I see nothing else but your reflection..." She commented with a grin while staring at Ron's reflection. The trace shouldn't be on Harry anymore...he turned 17 already."

As Harry stood there, she turned to her boyfriend who had given a cry of pain. He had seen something that had flashed across his mind, like a bright light into water. His body was pounded violently and briefly by an electric shock as he saw an immense shadow.

"What did you see?" Ron asked, advancing on Harry. "Did you see him at my place?"

"No, I just felt anger – he's really angry –"

"But that could be at the Burrow," said Ron loudly. "What else? Didn't you see anything? Was he cursing someone?"

"No, I just felt anger...I couldn't tell..."