43

Call Me Yours
▔▔▔▔▔
Forty-Three: Slughorn's Christmas Party

Snow was swirling against the icy windows once more; Christmas was approaching fast. Hagrid had already single-handedly delivered the usual twelve Christmas trees to the Great Hall; garlands of holly and tinsel had been twisted around the bannisters of the stairs; everlasting candles glowed from inside the helmets of suits of armour and great bunches of mistletoe had been hung at intervals along the corridors.

Fred and George went back to the burrow the day after the game. Y/n was becoming more secretive as the holiday grew closer, still trying to figure everything out. Hermione had explained to Y/n why she cried that night. Not knowing how she felt towards Ron.

Y/n's shoes have mysteriously gone missing once more since it is around Christmas when Nargles are the most active.

Ron, who might once have found the necessity of these detours excuses for jealousy rather than hilarity, simply roared with laughter about it all. Although Y/n much preferred this new laughing, joking Ron to the moody, aggressive model he had been enduring for the last few weeks, the improved Ron came at a heavy price.

Firstly, Harry had to put up with the frequent presence of Lavender Brown, who seemed to regard any moment that she was not kissing Ron as a moment wasted; and secondly, Harry found himself once more the best friend of two people who seemed unlikely ever to speak to each other again.

Well at least he had Y/n, The two seemed to be back to normal when it came to the closeness of their friendship. Something they both missed, ever since Y/n was crying on Ron's shoulder it just felt weird.

"She can't complain," he told Harry. "She snogged Krum. So she's found out someone wants to snog me too. Well, it's a free country. I haven't done anything wrong." Harry did not answer but pretended to be absorbed in the book they were supposed to have read before Charms the next morning (Quintessence: A Quest).

Y/n turned to Ron, looking at the redhead. "She didn't kiss Krum, Fred made that up, I asked her the other day-" she explained looking over at Ron and holding her bag which had pins on it from S.P.E.W to a rainbow pin with Pippa on her shoulder sleeping.

"Look, I can't help it if she's got her knickers in a twist. What Lav and I have -- well, let's just say there was no stopping it. It's chemical. Will it last? Who knows? Point is, I'm a free agent"

With both Ron and Hermione, Harry was spending a lot of time with his mouth shut tight. "I never promised Hermione anything," Ron mumbled. "I mean, all right, I was going to go to Slughorn's Christmas party with her, but she never said...just as friends...I'm a free agent..."

Harry turned a page of Quintessence, aware that Ron was watching him. Ron's voice trailed away in mutters, barely audible over the loud crackling of the fire, though Harry thought he caught the words "Krum" and "Can't complain" again.

Hermione's schedule was so full that Harry could only talk to her properly in the evenings, when Ron was, in any case, so tightly wrapped around Lavender that he did not notice what Harry was doing.

Hermione refused to sit in the common room while Ron was there, so Harry or Y/n generally joined her in the library, which meant that their conversations were held in whispers. Y/n and Harry walked side by side into the library. "Do you think it's going to get any better?" Harry asked turning to her.

"Well...if the two of us could make up in a week...I give it two-" Y/n said with a grin turning to Harry, She had her Magical Creatures book in her hands since she came back from a lesson before meeting up with Ron and Harry.