40

Call Me Yours
▔▔▔▔▔
Forty: Amortentia

Hermione craned her neck, looking for Harry, while Ron stuffs his face with pudding, mumbling mouth full. Y/n was also eating pudding, but not like Ron was. "Don' you worry. He'll be 'long soon 'nuff," Hermione grabbed a book and smacked Ron on his arm. 

"Will. You. Stop. Eating! Your best friend is missing!" 

"I don't think he's missing," Y/n said, allowing her pudding a nodding towards Harry walking in leaving Luna behind with his nose still bloody. "But he's bloody..." 

Hermione spins, sees Harry and Luna approaching. In the hall's light, Harry's blood-spattered face is quite the sight. "He's covered in blood again. Why is it he's always covered in blood?" Ginny asked from sitting next to Ron. 

"Looks like his own this time," Ron mentioned. 

Harry walked over sitting next to Y/n, "Where've you been, Harry?" Hermione asked in a panic. "And what happened to your face?" 

"I think he looks Exceptionally ordinary," Y/n uttered turning back to her pudding looking down at it. 

Harry turned to her looking away. Not knowing how to feel about that comment coming from her. "Luna said the same thing, Um my nose broke...and Luna fixed it" 

"she fixed three of my toes before..." The three of them turned to Y/n furrowing their eyebrows, She looked up from her pudding. "Creature incident...One of Newt's Creatures stepped on my foot breaking three of my toes..." 

"Interesting...What've I missed?" Harry asked grabbing a napkin and whipping his nose.

Ron shrugged still stuffing his mouth, "Sorting Hat urged us all to be brave and strong in these troubled times easy for it to say it's a hat, isn't it? First Years seemed to enjoy it, though. Wankers. Filch give you the wand outside?" 

Harry nods. "Thanks..."

Just then, the light in the Hall begins to gently dim and all eyes turn to Dumbledore, standing at the top of the Hall, ashen hand raised to the enchanted ceiling, where clouds respond to his gestures and shroud a gleaming full moon. "What's happened to his hand?" Hermione asked. 

"The very best of evenings to you! First off, please join me in welcoming the newest member of our staff, Horace Slughorn.

Mild Applause ensues. Harry claps perfunctorily, his eyes drifting to the entrance of the Hall as a pair of Aurors station themselves just outside. "Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say, has agreed to resume his old post of Potions master. Meanwhile, the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts will be assumed by Professor Snape."

This is greeted by stunned silence. Dumbledore frowns, then attempts to generate something by clapping his hands once. A few Slytherins join in and some dim-witted First Years. "Now, as you know, each and every one of you was searched upon your arrival tonight. You have a right to know why"

"Once there was a young man who, like you, sat in this very Hall. Walked this castle's corridors. Slept beneath its roof. He seemed, to all the world, a student like any other. His name? Tom Riddle."

The Hall goes utterly silent. "Today, of course, the world knows him by another name. This is why, as I stand looking out upon you all tonight, I am reminded of a sobering fact. Each day, every hour, this very minute perhaps, dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle. But in the end, their greatest weapon remains... you." 

Harry eyes Malfoy, slouched low, lazily levitating a fork with his wand, as if Dumbledore were unworthy of attention. Dumbledore's blue eyes swept over the students before he smiled once more.