27

Call Me Yours
▔▔▔▔▔
Chapter Twenty-Seven: Prefects

On the very last day of the holidays, Harry was sweeping up Hedwig's owl droppings from the top of the wardrobe when Ron entered their bedroom carrying a couple of envelopes. "Booklists have arrived," he said, throwing one of the envelopes up to Harry and one to Y/n, who was standing on a chair. "What were you both just doing?" 

Harry furrowed his eyebrows as Y/n hid her face in the Quibbler. "Nothing, just talking," Harry stated, telling the truth.

Y/n was lying on the bed reading the Quibbler checking anything as Pippa rested on her shoulder "About time, I thought they'd forgotten. They usually come much earlier than this. ..." 

"I mean, why would they forget?" Y/n asked as she grabbed her letter opening it, Harry swept the last of the droppings into a rubbish bag and threw the bag over Ron's head into the wastepaper basket in the corner, which swallowed it and belched loudly. 

She then opened her letter: It contained two pieces of parchment, one the usual reminder that term started on the first of September, the other telling her which books he would need for the coming year. "Only two new ones," he said, reading the list. "'Standard Book of Spells, Grade 5, by Miranda Goshawk and Defensive Magical Theory, by Wilbert Slinkhard." 

Crack. Fred and George Apparated right beside Harry. He was so used to them doing this by now that he didn't even fall off his chair. Y/n grinned shaking her head, "Standard?" She furrowed her eyebrows.

"We were just wondering who assigned the Slinkhard book," said Fred conversationally turning to Y/n and Hermione. 

"Because it means Dumbledore's found a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher," said George. 

"And about time too," said Fred.

"What d'you mean?" Harry asked, jumping down beside them.

"Well, we overheard Mum and Dad talking on the Extendable Ears a few weeks back," Fred told Harry, "and from what they were saying, Dumbledore was having real trouble finding anyone to do the job this year." 

"Not surprising, is it, when you look at what's happened to the last four?" said George.

"The position is cursed," Y/n spoke looking at them and they nodded agreeing with her. 

"One sacked, one dead, one's memory removed, and one was locked in a trunk for nine months," said Harry, counting them off on his fingers. "Yeah, I see what you mean."

"Lupin wasn't even bad...just the world" Y/n stated as Harry agrees with her. "Hagrid wants me to take care of the creatures, he's not going to be there" She looked up from her note.

"Hagrid isn't going to be there? Does it say why?" Asked Harry looking up to the girl. She shook her head looking back down. 

"No..."  

"What's up with you, Ron?" asked Fred.

Ron did not answer. Y/n looked around. Ron was standing very still with his mouth slightly open, gaping at his letter from Hogwarts. "What's the matter?" said Fred impatiently, moving around Ron to look over his shoulder at the parchment. Fred's mouth fell open too.

"Prefect?" he said, staring incredulously at the letter. "Prefect?" George leapt forward, seized the envelope in Ron's other hand, and turned it upside down. Harry saw something scarlet and gold fall into George's palm.

"No way," Said George in a hushed voice.

"There's been a mistake," said Fred, snatching the letter out of