10

Call Me Yours
▔▔▔▔
Chapter Ten: Firebolt & Practice

"Harry, you – you look terrible," Hermione said Harry hadn't got to sleep until daybreak. He had awoken to find the dormitory deserted, dressed and gone down the spiral staircase to a common room that was completely empty except for Ron, who was eating a Peppermint Toad and massaging his stomach, and Hermione, who had spread her homework over three tables.

Y/n and Harry had fallen asleep next to each other last night after talking for hours. "Where is everyone?" said Harry.

"They went home-" The soft voice said as Y/n walked down from the girl's dormitory wearing an oversized t-shirt that Ginny let her borrow and sweat-pants not her normal style of clothing. "It's nearly lunchtime, One of us was going to come and wake you"

Harry slumped into a chair next to the fire. Snow was still falling outside the windows. Crookshanks was spread out in front of the fire like a large ginger rug. "You really don't look well, you know," Hermione said, peering anxiously into his face.

"I'm fine," said Harry.

Y/n knew he wasn't okay and wasn't going to push it.  "Harry, listen," said Hermione, exchanging a look with Ron, as Y/n curled up in the single chair "you must be really upset about what we heard yesterday. But the thing is, you mustn't go doing anything stupid." 

"Like what?" said Harry.

"Like trying to go after Black," said Ron sharply.

Harry could tell they had rehearsed this conversation while he had been asleep. He didn't say anything. "You won't, will you, Harry?" Asked Hermione.

"Because Black's not worth dying for," said Ron.

Harry looked at them. They didn't seem to understand at all. "D'you know what I see and hear every time a Dementor gets too near me?" Ron and Hermione shook their heads, looking apprehensive. 

As Harry told Y/n last night so the girl knew. "I can hear my mum screaming and pleading with Voldemort. And if you'd heard your mum screaming like that, just about to be killed, you wouldn't forget it in a hurry. And if you found out someone who was supposed to be a friend of hers betrayed her and sent Voldemort after her –" 

"There's nothing you can do!" said Hermione, looking stricken. "The Dementors will catch Black and he'll go back to Azkaban and – and serve him right!" 

"I mean, he didn't get a trail..." Y/n stated.  Everything went silent as the trio turned to her, "I'm just saying...He might be innocent, might not...Everyone deserves to have their side of the story..." 

Hermione shook her head as Harry looked away not listening to Y/n for once in his life. "Hermione, You heard what Fudge said. Black isn't affected by Azkaban like normal people are. It's not a punishment for him like it is for the others."

"So what are you saying?" said Ron, looking very tense. "You want to – to kill Black or something?"

"Don't be silly?" Y/n said looking over at Harry serious this time and not being in the dreaming state that she always is. Again, Harry didn't answer. He didn't know what he wanted to do. All he knew was that the idea of doing nothing, while Black was at liberty, was almost more than he could stand. "Harry-" 

"Malfoy knows," he said abruptly. "Remember what he said to me in Potions? "If it was me, I'd hunt him down myself ... I'd want revenge." 

"You're going to take Malfoy's advice instead of ours hell Y/n's!?" said Ron furiously. "Listen... you know what Pettigrew's mother got back after Black had finished with him? Dad told me – the Order of Merlin, First Class, and Pettigrew's finger in a box. That was the biggest bit of him they could find. Black's a madman, Harry, and he's dangerous –'"