9

Call Me Yours
▔▔▔▔
Chapter Nine: Betrayal

"I can't believe that. What could be worse?" 

"You say you remember him at Hogwarts, Rosmerta," murmured Professor McGonagall. "Do you remember who his best friends were?" 

Madam nodded, looking at McGonagall and nodded, "Naturally," said Madam Rosmerta, with a small laugh. "Never saw one without the others, did you? The number of times I had them in here – ooh, they used to make me laugh. Quite the double act, Sirius Black, James Potter and Davis Edwards!"

Harry dropped his tankard with a loud clunk. Ron kicked him as Y/n sat there, frozen. Hermione put her hand in her best friends to calm her down. "Precisely," said Professor McGonagall. "Black, Potter and Davis. Ringleaders of their little gang. Both dazzling, of course exceptionally bright, in fact, but I don't think we've ever had such a trio of troublemakers –" 

"I dunno," chuckled Hagrid. "Fred and George Weasley could give 'em a run fer their money." 

"You'd have thought Black and Potter were brothers!" chimed in Professor Flitwick. "Inseparable! Davis was closer to Remus them two were like brothers"

"Of course they were," said Fudge. "Potter trusted Black beyond all his other friends. Nothing changed when they left school. Black was the best man when James married Lily, Then they named him godfather to Harry. Harry has no idea, of course. You can imagine how the idea would torment him." 

"Black was there with Y/n every second of his life since she was born...Davis however made Lovegood the godfather of Y/n seeing he was his brother in law-" 

"Because Black turned out to be in league with You-Know-Who?" whispered Madam Rosmerta.

"Worse even than that, m'dear ..." Fudge dropped his voice and proceeded in a sort of low rumble. "Not many people are aware that the Potters knew You-Know-Who was after them. Dumbledore, who was, of course, working tirelessly against You-Know-Who, had a number of useful spies." 

"One of them tipped him off, and he alerted James and Lily at once. He advised them to go into hiding. Well, of course, You-Know-Who wasn't an easy person to hide from. Dumbledore told them that their best chance was the Fidelius Charm." 

"How does that work?" said Madam Rosmerta, breathless with interest.

Professor Flitwick cleared his throat. "An immensely complex spell," he said squeakily, "involving the magical concealment of a secret inside a single, living soul. The information is hidden inside the chosen person, or Secret-Keeper, and is henceforth impossible to find – unless, of course, the Secret-Keeper chooses to divulge it." 

"As long as the Secret-Keeper refused to speak, You-Know-Who could search the village where Lily and James were staying for years and never find them, not even if he had his nose pressed against their sitting-room window!" 

"So Black was the Potters' Secret Keeper?" whispered Madam Rosmerta.

"Naturally," said Professor McGonagall. "James Potter told Dumbledore that Black would die rather than tell where they were, that Black was planning to go into hiding himself ... and yet, Dumbledore remained worried. I remember him offering to be the Potters' Secret Keeper himself." 

"He suspected Black?" gasped Madam Rosmerta.

"He was sure that somebody close to the Potters had been keeping You-Know-Who informed of their movements," said Professor McGonagall darkly. 'Indeed, he had suspected for some time that someone on our side had turned traitor and was passing a lot of information to You-Know-Who."