Chapter 56

Regulus has never had any friends and the only person he really talked to has always been Sirius. Although they had different personalities and different ideas regarding family and blood, they never had a serious fight over anything.

And then Sirius was sorted into Gryffindor and circumstances changed. At home, Regulus would only hear his mother curse the day she brought Sirius into the world. Being proud of his house, Sirius only amplified their mother's frustration and anger and Regulus found himself set as an example to his older brother.

When Regulus was sorted into Slytherin, he felt relief. He wasn't going to disappoint his blood lineage and he was going to spend time with children of the same environment as him.

"Hello, I'm Reg-"

"I know who you are. Your brother's name is famous around here. I pity you, Black." That was the answer of a mere second year who wasn't even a pureblood and yet he pitied Regulus.

That encounter repeated the next day and the next and the next and Regulus found himself lonelier than when he was at home. He started to hate being the younger brother of Sirius Black and as each day passed, with him getting bullied by everyone really, he started to notice her. Ophelia, the Gryffindor that was rumored to be interested into the dark arts.

She was standing at the table with a book in her hand, reading a muggle story while eating cereals. She was by herself since it was Monday morning and Gryffindors were preparing for the final Quidditch game against Ravenclaws. It seemed like Slytherins opted to lose and concentrate on their late night lessons, trying their hardest to gain a spot in the Dark Lord's army.

"You've been staring for a while. Is there something you want to ask?"

Regulus couldn't remember the last time he was approached by someone else without having Sirius' name thrown at his face.

"I was thinking," the boy answered, caught in the act.

"Regulus, right?" she asked, easily sitting across him even if it was the Slytherin table. "Are they still bullying you? Or have you finally cursed them all?" It didn't sound like she was joking.

"It's fine."

Ophelia stared at him, tilting her head to the side as she watched the boy with those snake-like green eyes. She could have entered his mind, find out the truth and choose if she wanted to go on and act as if she didn't know or expose him there and then. But she didn't.

"Sirius is being a pain isn't he? Even when he's not there, his mere existence burdens you."

"You have no idea," Regulus replied grumpily, feeling frustrated by his so called favour that could give him the peaceful student life that he wanted.

"He is a very loyal friend. Are you loyal too, Regulus?"

"As you see, I'm not surrounded by an unlimited number of friends." He said sarcastically, knowing his position in school.

"Then let me be your first friend." Ophelia stated as she grabbed his hand and shook it. She smiled at the younger boy, her eyes sparkling mischeviously.

Did she know what intentions he had or was she genuine? Their friendship begun with doubts rather than trust.

"So, what do you like to do, Regulus?"

"Nothing much." He answered in the same grumpy manner. "I have to go to class. Professor McGonagall hates when we're late." Regulus added before he ran off.

Ophelia remained behind, a bit confused by how fast he moved. It reminded her of the first time she met him, when he was running from his classmates. Taking a look around, she noticed Avery's bright coloured hair against the wall. He was supposedly listening to something his mates were saying but his eyes shifted on her, darkening in colour when their gazes met.