Chapter 86

The glass shattered louder than expected and many turned their heads to her.

"Are you alright, Kate?" Evan came and checked her hands. "What's wrong?" He asked seeing how pale she was.

"It's-" she stopped and thought carefully about what Bellatrix said. What if she was only messing around, trying to embarrass the Rosiers? No, better keep her mouth shut for now. "It slipped. I was too focused on something else." She lied still staring at Ophelia.

Evan raised an eyebrow and turned towards what his sister was watching.

"Is it Lestrange? Shouldn't he be announcing your engagement already?" He asked with a frown. Rabastan was looking at his partner with an expression that wasn't seen often. He also came and interrupted his chat with Molley, dragged her away before he would curse her.

"No need. He probably didn't get the approval from the Dark Lord." Katie came up with an explanation that she knew may as well be possible.

"Bullocks. This party was supposed to be about us. Now it's about trash and whatever Greyback is." Evan said with a sneer. "If nothing happens we should leave. We have better things to do than this."

"Not yet. Let's enjoy this for another hour, brother."

For the rest of the time, Rabastan seemed to spend a lot of time with Ophelia, to the point they both forgot where they were. Sirius sat next to Zabini and they both stared at the couple with amusement.

"She really doesn't act the same she did on Halloween, does she?" Zabini asked.

"I don't know what you mean," Sirius played innocent.

"Anyone with half a brain knows Molley would never set a girl's hair on fire for nothing. Especially a Ravenclaw's hair whom she never really interracted with before." Zabini added noticing Sirius giving up on his facade. "She doesn't seem scared of Evan anymore."

"I don't think she was ever scared of him but of the idea that he could be right."

Enzo chuckled as he started to notice the way Sirius would every so often glance back at his classmate.

"Do you fancy her?"

Sirius didn't understand the question at first but once he did, he almost started to laugh at that theory.

"I don't know what you believe but Gryffindors are a tight bunch. We take care of each other."

"That's not what I asked." Enzo pressed on. "You don't seem surprised by Rabastan's behaviour either. I guess you knew already." Enzo sighed and leaned back, getting rather comfortable. "Rabastan has been incredibly busy ever since he graduated. I'm sure he does really bad things for his extraordinary Dark Lord and that is keeping him from having a life."

"Is that why you are not interested in being a Death Eater?" Sirius asked realizing that Zabini was actually a good chap.

"No. I just can't be bothered. My plan is to work at the ministry, a desk job preferably. I want a family and a life where I decide what happens next, not someone else."

"This party's definitely been full of unexpected things." Sirius mumbled, not once imagining he'll have such a discussion with a Slytherin.

Bellatrix didn't have to wait for long for Katie to do something. Seeing how there was indeed an arrangement between the Rosiers and Lestranges, Katie was expected to spend time with Rabastan. That was how she started to take him from Ophelia, either to dance or to chat. She was never alone, there was always another with them but she was always touching Rabastan randomly on his arms or back or chest or sometimes even his face. It was unconfortable but he couldn't tell her off. In the end, he had to go to the bathroom, time in which Katie turned to Ophelia.