Chapter 110

After the conversation, Severus had to go to class but Ophelia chose a different destination. She moved through the halls as if she was under a spell, her eyes were set in a glare and little sparks of magic struggled to come out of her fingers. She hurried straight to the girls' bathroom on the first floor and stopped in front of the mirror. She looked at herself, at her pale skin, green eyes, and realized that she had lost. The mirror cracked as she understood why she was so angry.

"Is this your hiding spot?"

Ophelia's head turned immediately to the door and glared at Regulus.

"I saw you walk as if you were in a trance and followed you." He explained without even being asked.

"Aren't you too curious for someone who chose not to get involved with me?" She asked with a snarl. "Aren't you busy going around, spreading the word of your precious Lord Voldemort?"

Regulus watched her with even more interest. Something tragic must have happened for her to be so pissed off.

"You know, you resemble your father a lot in these moments. Whenever something surprises you or doesn't go as expected, you look like you are about to wreak havoc."

"Why do you like Voldemort so much? You know nothing about how he truly is. All he wants is power, and it doesn't matter if he has to walk over dead bodies in order to get it. Just look at Severus," she gave herself away.

"Is that what happened? Snape is a good Death Eater, no matter how much you hate it. I told you, he's always been a target for people like my brother, Potter, or even Mulciber, so being one of the most loyal followers gives him a lot of power." Regulus explained, seeing how her whole demeanour darkened. She lowered her head a little, her chin was so stiff it looked like she was about to bite him. "You should have expected it. You can't control him."

"He should have come to me, then. I would have helped him properly, not transformed him into a murderer. That mark makes you into a slave." She said knowing that Regulus was also a big fan of Voldemort.

"That mark comes with a sense of safety, not just power. He gives us a purpose,"

Ophelia's eyes darkened and another mirror broke. She walked to him slowly and, because she was actually slightly taller than Regulus, she looked very intimidating.

"Purpose? What is this purpose? Killing all muggles and wizards who are not pure-blooded? Do you think that a perfect world is one created by intermingling a few families? Do you want to marry your cousin? Look at me, Regulus. I am the result of such an atrocious act. That hero of yours ordered Spinnard to kill a woman and kidnap the infant from the womb. Then he raised and manipulated her into the best wife, with whom he had a relationship that was strictly based on his needs. I came out of that wicked incestuous act. I should be happy that I don't have two heads, two arms, or two legs." She said and chuckled sadistically, "But do you know why I am alive? Because his desire to be immortal is more important than me. His soul weighs more than mine and I assure you, more than yours."

Regulus couldn't say a word but not out of fear, but because he was entranced. Although the person in front of him looked so much like the one his family adored, there was no sense of...submission. Ophelia's intention was not to scare him nor to manipulate him into accepting her proposition; she was simply expressing her point of view. Regulus did not feel small and insignificant, as he did to a majority of people. But he also understood why she felt so angry with Snape. The thought of having people she cared about choose Voldemort was excruciating.

"You're very dramatic," he finally said, watching her raise an eyebrow curiously as her anger dimmed. "Fine. I'll keep you updated on what goes on,"

"...just like that?"