Chapter 95

Ophelia couldn't believe that Rabastan was there, sitting calmly at the staff table with the other professors. Even the other students were confused as to why Dumbledore would let a Lestrange brother return to Hogwarts.

"This isn't right, is it? Can he be the new DADA professor?" Alice asked around but nobody answered.

James looked at Ophelia and although she seemed calm, he could see the tension in the way she was gripping her pants under the table. Sirius on the other hand was glaring at Rabastan as if that would make him disappear.

Dumbledore was not blind, he could see the shock on the faces of his precious students, and the glares. He rose and decided to clear up whatever rumors were already being made.

"I am happy to announce the beginning of a new school year. We all know the danger that looms over the world right now. I look at you and see that our numbers have decreased. Some parents decided to keep their children at home while some have perished during the summer. I am not going to hide just how difficult the outside world is right now. But do not worry about it while you are here. Hogwarts will always help its students." Dumbledore said, seeing how some of the younger children sigh in relief. "As professor Selwyn had to return to her duties at the Ministry, we welcome a new face, or shall I say a familiar face, to our staff group. Enzo Zabini decided to help us out by accepting the offer to teach you Defence against the dark arts. He is one of Hogwarts' duelling champions and brightest students. So let's welcome him warmly." He said and more or less forced the whole school to clap.

"So Zabini is the professor? Then what's Rabastan doing here?" Peter asked his friends not quite understanding. Honestly, nobody could figure out what Dumbledore was planning.

Ophelia's eyes were still set on her former boyfriend. Rabastan could feel her heavy gaze, the judgement for having been caught professing his loyalty to her father rather than her. He didn't want to look into her eyes, he couldn't, so he decided to keep his eyes on the Slytherin table. He noticed Snape shaking his head as if scolding the young Lestrange but he could also see Katie who was ignoring him completely. Rabastan knew he deserved everything because he got lost in his own lies.

"I see that many of you are wondering why we have Rabastan Lestrange here, right? He will be helping me so you don't need to worry." Dumbledore added looking particularly at the Griffindor table. "As for the rest of the rules, they are the same. Do not enter the Forbidden Forest and do try and listen to Mr. Filtch. I advise you to stay close to your friends and do not lose your faith in them. In such dark and confusing times, friendship is the one weapon that we can always rely on." He ended his speech and the feast.

Ophelia looked down at her hands and tried to relax. It was Remus, who was standing on her right, that placed a hand over hers and smiled at her.

"It will be alright. Just like Dumbledore said, there is nothing that friendship cannot solve."

His words, after he just found out the truth about her, ran really deep. Ophelia sighed and glanced once more at the staff table but Rabastan was gone.

Right after they were allowed to return to their common room, Ophelia decided to go instead to the headmaster. She literally barged inside but only found the black kitten and Dumbledore's phoenix.

"Are you happy?" She asked the black furball. "Spinnard died because of you. You couldn't protect mother so what? You're trying your luck with me? Do you think it will be different this time?" She asked, her volume rising as she grew angry. "I do not need your protection. I don't want it and I am sick of having you and dad get into my mind."

She looked more sad than annoyed, especially when she teared up. The kitten approached her with his big blue eyes worried. He meowed twice and gave what Ophelia believed to be a sigh.