Chapter 109

By the time Ophelia arrived in the common room, she had many thoughts about what Regulus said. Was she so oblivious to Severus' school troubles that she didn't notice her friends bullying him? It was such a stretch considering Potter's behavior and the way he accepted her so wholeheartedly. She could see Sirius doing it but James...

"What's wrong?" A voice surprised her from in front of the chimney. Remus' head popped up and Ophelia sighed in relief. "Disappointed I'm not Sirius?" He joked.

"...are Potter and Black bullies?"

Remus blinked in confusion. He needed a bit of time to formulate a proper answer.

"Next to what Slytherins are doing, not really. But they do get ahead of themselves sometimes. If there's a reason."

"And is there a reason to bully Snape?"

Remus knew it was coming, he just never knew when. He was aware of the close relationship between her and Snape but it seemed like they never spoke of Snape's problems at school. It always seemed to him that Snape tried to avoid Ophelia seeing him in moments of weakness.

"Is it...because of Lily?" She asked, approaching her housemate.

"What makes you think that?"

"Snape is not like other Slytherins, he is a half-blood with a constant target on his back for being an odd person. Lily is his butterfly, the one reason that keeps him from becoming a ruthless dark wizard. As long as he has his eyes set on her, everything is good. But if the butterfly leaves his sight, then I will lose him. I don't want that. He is my best friend," Ophelia explained, her expression becoming soft at the thought of having to give him up to her father.

Remus smiled softly, seeing how much she cared for Snape although it didn't necessarily seem like he appreciated it.

"Your friendship with Snape is very peculiar, isn't it? Sometimes you two seem so unlikely to get along, but you actually do." Remus commented seeing how she seemed very worried and sad.

"Severus and I have a similar goal which is to grow strong in order to protect what we love. But I am afraid that if he loses Lily, he will fully turn to the Dark Arts and thus to him."

"But you can't control people, Ophelia. No matter how much you try, if he wants to, he will go with the others." Remus said, watching her with sympathy. "Well, it's late, we should go to bed. I'm sure you'll be better once he returns to school."

But that was another thing that worried her. The simple fact that he chose to do Tom's bidding while missing school made her chin tense.

That night a really bad storm took over the sky and all that could be heard were thunder and rain pouring heavily. Often a bolt of sharp lightning could be seen enlightening the view. But from inside the warmth of the common room, it was soothing watching the force of nature unfold.

Ophelia couldn't sleep. All she could think about was Snape and how it seemed like he was getting closer and closer to her father. With the way Lily was growing further away from him, it seemed like everything was leading Severus to the Death Eaters.

The movement in the common room didn't go unnoticed, no matter how deep in thought she was.

"Why are you awake?" She asked already knowing the identity of her interlocutor without checking.

"The thunder woke me up. And I was having a nightmare anyway so I just came down for a walk," he explained rubbing his eyes. "Why are you awake?"

She didn't answer his question, instead, she turned to look at him with cold green eyes. Lightning struck behind her and Sirius swore he saw the shadow of her father surrounding her for a brief moment.