Arc 4: Icy Cold Demon Ye (108)

A white dragon arrived in Jianghu. A strong gale of wind swept past the meadow and the dragon settled down where the fireflies lit up. Mo Ye turned to his human form and brought Hong Cha down. She cant tell why he brought her here. Still, she enjoyed the view of fireflies. With a wave of his sleeve, the fireflies glowed red and the meadow became filled with camellia petals. What is Mo Ye doing? He wordlessly moved his hand and her clothes changed. Accessories appeared that highlighted her pretty face. Mo Ye then turned sideways to watch the fireflies with her.

"Xiao Bai, who are you?" she asked. Hong Cha just got into character. Mo Ye faced her. "You know, even if I don't know you, I think I like you."

"You like everyone that are nice." Mo Ye thought she meant it that way. But if she means something strictly forbidden, he will do what is right. To avoid her.

"No. I mean, its like this." Hong Cha gathered her courage and raised herself. She pressed their lips together but she came to feel a sting over her body. Mo Ye also felt the same stinging sensation. He recovered from his trance and held her shoulder. Slowly, he pushed her. She drew out a confused look. "Xiao Bai?"

"Girl Hong Cha, my name is Ye, surnamed Mo." he corrected. Hong Cha blinked. He recovered his memories? Seeing her confused, Mo Ye decided to explain. "I am a demon from the upper realm. However, a thousand years ago, I was detained in the Eighteenth Hell to pay for my crimes. I had just escaped and a deity took advantage of my weakness to remove my memories. From the upper realm's Execution Platform, I was banished here. I was severely injured but you saved me."

"You are a demon...?" Hong Cha blinked. Mo Ye nodded in return. "And then? I cant like you?"

"Certainly." Mo Ye nodded again. Mortals have short lifespans but demons like him can live longer. Mortals die and reincarnate until their thirteenth lifetime only. But demons, they have one lifetime and they can live long. What demons needed as their partner should be someone who can live the rest of their lifetime together until their lifespan ends. It is the reason why mortals and immortals are forbidden to love each other. Because mortals are bound to earth, immortals are to the heavens.

"But I already like you." she continued with a weak voice. Mo Ye lowered his hand. He can see traces of sadness from her almond eyes.

"You have more lifetimes to come. I only have one reserved for a deity like me. We cant be together." he continued. Hong Cha's eyelashes trembled but she quickly looked away.

"Oh, I understand." Hong Cha rubbed her arm. Should she leave him then?

"However, I can try repaying the favor." Mo Ye felt his heart was like being squeezed. He ignored that confusing feeling and showed her a red clip shaped like a real camellia flower. "Wear this accessory and once you get in danger, I can come back to save you. You saved me from my death and I only have one lifetime. Thus, as an exchange, I will guard you for the rest of this lifetime you have. But as I said, I can only be your guardian, nothing more than that."

Hong Cha took the clip. She wore it before smiling at him. "Xiao Bao, no, Mo Ye, I will miss you." her words made him remember Mi Cha. Though they don't look alike, their hobbies and favorites were the same. Mi Cha likes healing other immortals, even him that is a demon. Mi Cha likes fireflies and camellias, the reason how his eyes became red because of her spell and how his power got replaced with her own. Yet, they are still different. Mi Cha will never miss him. But Hong Cha, she will yearn for him.

"Farewell." with that said, Mo Ye turned his back. He heard her footsteps loud and clear, her camellia scent vanishing as she departed. Their backs turned to one another, will this be the last time he meets her? If it is, he will come back on her deathbed to at least, retrieve the clip and hand it to her next lifetime in order to fulfill his promise to guard her. Mo Ye paused when he heard no footsteps. He turned back to see Hong Cha looking at him from the distance.

"Mo Ye, can I get myself to trouble to see you again? Or, give you hundreds of chocolates?" she asked, her smile playful. Mo Ye cant help but hook the corner of his lips upwards. He shook his head as an answer. Hong Cha pouted before continuing to leave. Her shoulder shook. A light sob escaped her lips then she ran away. Mo Ye knitted his brows. He doesn't feel well. What is wrong with him?

"Mo Ye." Mi Cha appeared behind him. Mo Ye remained facing the direction to where Hong Cha left. "You are now pardoned from the Eighteenth Hell. Are you...returning to the seven kingdoms?"

"Where else? I belong there, not in your world, nor hers." he cant believe he was saying such things. He cant understand how he feels too. Mo Ye never realized what he have for Mi Cha before was faint obsession while for Hong Cha, it was genuine affection. Thus, when he and Mi Cha separated, he never felt aggrieved but felt betrayed and held grudge. Yet to Hong Cha, it will be too late for him to know he is sad.

"Mo Ye... He was not like this in the past." she thought. Mi Cha knew him well. They had known each other for centuries but when they ended their relationship, Mo Ye never looked so lonely like now. He was only angry since she betrayed him. She took one of Mo Ye's heart as an exchange for her fiance to live. As a high ranking demon, he have seven hearts. He lost five after countless defeat before he reached the pinnacle of his strength. She took one for her fiance and he now have one left. "Mo Ye, lets go?"

He didn't say anything and looked back to her. Mo Ye sighed. "I cant." before she can stop him, Mo Ye was surrounded by red petals.

"Mo Ye, no! She's a mortal!" Mi Cha warned and reached for him but what she caught were petals instead. He went back to a mortal girl he was forbidden to love. Mi Cha was aggrieved. She came to recall when she first met Mo Ye, he was so kind and lenient, that she wished now she could bring the old Mo Ye back.

Mo Ye was just visiting the upper realm with some high-ranking demons. The servant that was to lead him to the seventh sky's emperor was so nervous he got them lost. Mo Ye was annoyed and decided to look for the way himself when he entered the palace where Mi Cha resides. She was gathering camellia flowers and he stood there like a tree rooted on its spot.

"Demon, its not good to stare at a lady that way." Mi Cha shot him an indifferent look as the demons behind Mo Ye almost pissed in their pants from her courage.

"A demon can if the lady is as mesmerizing as you." Mo Ye actually complimented her which stunned his followers. He just have this emptiness in his heart that lit up a bit, as if being filled slowly but its not enough. "Mo Ye, you are?"

"Mi Cha." she smiled faintly and tossed a camellia flower to him. Mo Ye caught it easily, even returning a very alluring smile. However, when Mi Cha turned her back, he suddenly felt uneasy, as if it would be the last time they would meet.

"Wait, Xiao Cha!" he raised his tone with an urgency which he had never done before. Mi Cha looked at him, her brow raised.

"Xiao Cha?"

"Oh dear Lord, that's the princess your demon king is seducing!" the eunuch face-palmed and the demons gulped.