Brother's Woman (194)

Earth 1 is the futuristic world of the 21st century. Hong Cha felt more at home in Earth 1. Unlike the other planets, Earth 1 preserved its nature and historical landmarks.

"What is this place? I don't remember that the 21st century has this palace." Hong Cha asked in curiosity. Gu Jiaoyue brought her to an ancient palace more detailed than the Forbidden Palace she recalled. The ancient capital city under the palace's governance is well maintained. Any tourist strolling around will feel like they just time traveled.

"This is not a palace. It's House Gu, the real imperial family of a lost civilization. Up until now, no one discovered what the dynasty was called. But there are few records regarding this place." Gu Jiaoyue turned to a veiled painting. He lifted the veil as Hong Cha turned. Her eyes widened a bit.

"Is that the emperor? He looks a bit like you." Hong Cha stood next to him and took a good look at the faded old painting. The person in the painting is a young emperor in his teens, he resembles something about Gu Jiaoyue.

"He is, guess his name." Gu Jiaoyue grinned after letting the veil down. Hong Cha ridiculously looked at him.

"How should I know?"

"Alright, I'll tell you. His name is Gu Jiaoyue." He calmly said but Hong Cha was stupefied. Gu Jiaoyue chuckled. "My parents lived in a nearby city here so they knew about this emperor's history. He is an upright and wise emperor. My parents derived my name to him."

"I thought they got your name from the moon and Gu Zixing to the star. You know, moon and stars, Yue and Xing. What about your brother's name? Where did they take it?" She got interested in their history. However, she came to notice Gu Jiaoyue became too silent.

"Here." He led Hong Cha to a different residence. It was less radiant than the other chamber that the emperor owns. Gu Jiaoyue looked for a while until he found a painting carelessly staying on the ground. He took off the curtain over it and showed Hong Cha a different picture. "This boy, he's Gu Zixing, the emperor's cousin."

Hong Cha felt her heart thump heavily. She unconsciously clenched her hands after seeing the portrait of another teenage boy. He was smiling cheerfully unlike the emperor Gu Jiaoyue who looked stern and indifferent. This Gu Zixing is different from him, he smiles radiantly. His curved eyes contained a pair of lively amber pupils. He doesn't look like the Gu Zixing that Hong Cha knows. But his gentlemanly composure and friendly demeanor are the same as Gu Zixing.

"Gu Zixing, what history does he have?" She raised her head to look at Gu Jiaoyue.

"Well, I only know a bit. Gu Zixing is the only person the emperor ever trusted. They were like brothers. However, Gu Zixing broke his trust. He stole the only woman the emperor ever loved. Their enmity was well known in this area. They see Gu Zixing as a bad person, he betrayed his own country, abandoned the woman he stole from his cousin, and he established a regimen northwards. It didn't end to that, he nearly usurped the throne."

Hong Cha stopped tracing the face on the painting. She can't believe such amiable looking person will be as ambitious as that.

"Does your parents hate your brother this much? They named him after a traitor?" Her brows furrowed. Hong Cha placed the painting down and veiled it. Somehow, that very kind face is familiar to her.

"I don't know. Some parents just have habits of favoritism. But still, they are our parents." It's also the reason why Gu Jiaoyue never wanted to compete against his brother. Gu Zixing never experienced familial love, he was cast aside. As for Gu Jiaoyue, he received their parents' sole affection but the setback is that he was not allowed to decide for himself. Both brothers understood their situations and always tried to avoid arguing over things or competing.

"Gu Jiaoyue, I'll find him soon." Hong Cha smiled and assured him. She held his wrist and dragged him outside. "Where should we go next? Ah, I'm hungry. Treat me to a restaurant, en?"

"If only she wasn't yours, Zixing." Gu Jiaoyue thought, his gaze drifting to her hand. He closed his eyes and opened them again. With his courage back, he intertwined their hands. Hong Cha looked at him in confusion but he turned away to avoid explaining. She didn't confront him and let him hold her. He sighed in relief. "Zixing, I'm sorry. I can't let you surpass me again. I... I have to be your rival."

Hong Cha enjoyed her vacation in Earth 1. For the final day, she stayed up on a roof with Gu Jiaoyue. The night has a starry sky and a moon veiled with thin clouds. It's such a sight.

"Zixing and I used to climb up here when we were younger. We like viewing the stars and moon. I made him believe both our names were derived from them. I just don't know what will his reaction be if he finds out our parents compared him to a rebel." Gu Jiaoyue chuckled a bit. He lied next to Hong Cha and stared ahead at the sky.

"Staying with you made me wish to finally meet Gu Zixing. I have a lot of things to ask him." Hong Cha was sitting up, her arms supporting her. Every time those stars flicker, she remembers him. When she thought she already knew what sort of person he is, another puzzle will be added. She wants to know more. "Did he ever love me?"

Gu Jiaoyue froze. He slowly turned to Hong Cha and sat up as well. In a friendly way, he made Hong Cha lean on his shoulder, place his arm around her and pat her head gently.

"To tell you the truth, he seems to like you. His problem is that he doesn't want to love a character from a book so he did his best to bring you to life." He wanted to facepalm at what he said. Just days ago, he wanted to be Gu Zixing's opponent. But tonight, he said such good things for his very own love rival!