Arc 5: A Concubine's Duty (155)

Author Nee: Play music if you want, I was dying writing this chapter, God... Anyway, enjoy the last moment of Bai Fuxi and Hong Cha. Byebye, Minister Bai~

Hong Cha stepped forward and opened her arms. She smiled like never before, mixed with pain and bliss. "Bai Fuxi, can we hug?"

"Sure!" Bai Fuxi is more than willing. Unlikely an emperor, he jumped off the rock and pulled her close to him. He casted a provocative look at Gu Jiaoyue, he could almost stick his tongue out and say 'bleh' to mock the other guy. This is his Xiao Cha, he can't let her be stolen by anyone!

Hong Cha broke their embrace and was struck by guilt. He looked clueless she is about to leave.

"Bai Fuxi, I should go." She let his hands free and turned but he suddenly held her back.

"Go? Where?" Bai Fuxi's heart thumped.

"Take care. Don't think of me." Hong Cha gave a vague respond. She avoided his gaze sooner to be filled with realization. Like what she feared, Bai Fuxi refused to let her go.

"Where are you going? Are you leaving with him? Xiao Cha, don't you love me at all? Why are you doing this?" He questioned but he noticed she is refusing to see his face.

"You don't understand. Bai Fuxi, we are not meant. I just want to say goodbye, to at least see one another this last time." Hong Cha had decided. "You were Nian Xiaoyuan, right? You can be like him again. You can set me aside and you can look for another woman. You won't-"

Before she could finish, Bai Fuxi sealed her lips. His loose hold was trembling, likely afraid he could lose his patience. She's leaving, why so? Did he do something wrong again? Did he break any of his vows? Is she tired of him?

"X-Xiao Cha, don't leave me. I beg you, don't leave me." Bai Fuxi's voice wavered. "Xiao Cha, I can give you anything, I can do anything you'd ask. Just don't leave me, en?"

"Bai Fuxi, we can't..."

"Xiao Cha, give me a chance. Give me a chance, one more time. I... I'm afraid of being alone. You know, without you, I cant-"

"Please!" She raised her tone in a sudden. Bai Fuxi froze and she forcefully took her hands back. "For the better, forget me and let me go. I forgive you for what you did in the past, can I leave now?"

Bai Fuxi's lashes lowered, causing his gaze to be half-lidded as he hid his emotions. "If, if that is what you want. I won't stand in your way, Xiao Cha." He forced a frail faint smile as his gaze contained nothing. His fists clenched in unwillingness.

Hong Cha wanted to apologize when someone dragged her. Gu Jiaoyue did. "Govern the empire well, or you won't see her again." Gu Jiaoyue tactfully said.

Just as Hong Cha is about to follow Gu Jiaoyue, System Wu beeped.

[Host! Danger!]

Hong Cha instinctively turned to see Yu Yaochuan aiming a bow at them. Bai Fuxi followed her gaze once the arrow was released.

"Gu Jiaoyue!" She is sure the arrow is for Gu Jiaoyue. Without hesitation, she went forward to block it for him. He turned only to catch her in his arms. Gu Jiaoyue is about to fall from the unexpected impact but Hong Cha didn't follow down. Instead, someone embraced her from behind.

"Xiao Cha..." Bai Fuxi softly murmured, red streak strolling down his lips. He hugged her protectively as another arrow struck him. He stood still on his ground to protect her this time. In this lifetime, he should be the one to suffer for her. This is his karma.

As Nian Xiaoyuan, he did so much to make her suffer. He used her for his own gain, he disregarded her feelings just so he could chase something that wasn't his in the first place. She must have been hurt that time, she is surely in pain. She cried that night, hadn't she? She secretly confessed how she felt, thinking he was asleep. He was able to hear her but what did he do?

He still chose someone else over her sincere feelings. Even in her last breath, he wasn't given a chance to show his change of heart. Now, it's his turn to pay. This is the result of his selfishness. If he lose her again, he can't take it. He wanted to cherish her this time, even if it costs his life.

Hong Cha can't move. Her eyes wide, her lips gaped slightly, and tears fell like red plum blossoms after spring. Her hand trembled as she reached to his arms secured around her.

"Xiao Cha, thank you for letting me repay you..." With that said, Bai Fuxi loosened his hold and fell down.

"Bai Fuxi!" She wanted to pull him towards her but Gu Jiaoyue stopped her.

"Hong Cha, lets go!" He urged. However, Hong Cha shook him and rushed to Bai Fuxi. Another arrow ready to strike her. "Hong Cha!"

"Bai Fuxi! Don't die on me! I will not leave, I will not leave anymore!" She vowed whilst holding his face. Yet, his eyes no longer opened. Hong Cha's heart was shattered to thousands of shards.

Another arrow rushed to her but just as Gu Jiaoyue thought it was too late, a bright yellow barrier surrounded her and an artifact floated above her. The arrow was broken to dust after.

"Master, what is this?"

"An artifact, I made it myself. Do you want it?"

"Well..."

"It's fine. You can take it. This artifact is made for you. Take it and it will protect you if I am unable to."

"What if I die?"

"Such thing... Then this artifact will go with you after using it. It will keep you away from death, so, we can be-"

"Be what?"

"Nothing...."

"Bai Fuxi, you can't die." Hong Cha cried. All this time, she came in this world arrogantly and believed she will never experience this sort of pain. Hadn't she learnt her lesson? "Bai Fuxi... I beg you."

The artifact above her brightened. The barrier became wide and yellow dusts spreads everywhere, causing time to stop. Hong Cha could care less about anything and remained embracing him.

"Xiao Cha."

She froze. Hong Cha was surprised he was smiling at her. The arrows she took off him began to disperse and the stench of blood vanished. Hong Cha was so worried she acted on impulse and pressed their lips. Bai Fuxi reciprocated, as if they had been away from each other for a long time, they shared a moment within the artifact's shade.

"Xiao Cha." He embrace her tightly, afraid to ever let go if this will be another nightmare.

"Bai Fuxi!" She was ever so happy to be in his arms. Hong Cha also felt the same fear but she can't decide on what to do. However, she came to feel her body becoming light. The artifact dimmed above them.

"Xiao Cha, what's wrong? Y-you're fading..." Bai Fuxi's heart thumped. He can't do anything as she continued to fade.

"Hold me. Bai Fuxi, don't let go. Don't let me go." Hong Cha embraced him even closer to herself. She wished she could stop this but she can't control it. "Bai Fuxi, I..."

Before she could confess, the artifact's glow began to dissipate. Instead of returning to her, it went through Bai Fuxi. He didn't let her go as she said until he was not even holding anyone. The warmth she gave had vanished to thin air, it was as if she never existed. The woman he loved never existed.

A flash happened. Time flowed back until the day of the coronation. Bai Fuxi walked towards the high platform with a strict bearing. Yu Anwei is with him. He paused when he felt like he had forgotten something. Instinctively, he looked back but all he saw were officials, soldiers, aristocrats and commoners cheering for him.

The sky was red, not because of a sinking sun but it was slowly rising. Bai Fuxi can't tell why but the sky is oddly familiar, not the sky, the scene perhaps...

"Husband?" Yu Anwei asked. Bai Fuxi broke from his trance and smiled at her.

"Dear wife, can you bear to be my empress?" He asked lovingly and guided her upwards the stairs.

"Will do." She answered happily. Bai Fuxi no longer thought of what he wanted to recall and focused on his wife, his only wife, the only woman who was with him since the start.