Arc 4: Icy Cold Demon Ye (109)

In silence, Hong Cha plucked a zither to keep herself amused. Back when Mo Ye was with her, she have someone to talk with. In this same backyard, they often chat here before closing the clinic. She randomly plucked the zither, lost in thought when a song entered her mind. Perhaps, back when she was living in the 21st century, she had heard this song. Hong Cha dazedly played a song called Meeting Firefly.

"As if a thousand years of reincarnation
Is only for the sake of searching for you
As if all the moons luminescence
Wax and wane or rain and shine are only for you."

She paused a bit and began another rhythm. Hong Cha never knew Mo Ye had returned. He was on the other side of the tree overshadowing her. Mo Ye leaned on the trunk and listened to her mesmerizing voice.

"Worldly bonds are like soft rain
Our eyes deeply locked then becoming dull
Ephemerally my fingertips
Collect a drop of your tears."

"As if the gentle ripples on the River of Forgetfulness follow my heart
And are only for not forgetting you
As if all my thoughts and emotions
Pity or sorrow are only for you
Worldly bonds are like a cloud of smoke
Our eyes deeply locked then wandering."

Mo Ye's red eyes flickered. He raised his hand as a firefly appeared on his palm. Its glow reflected from his gaze. Two fireflies appeared and they became countless. Hong Cha paused to see fireflies coming from behind her. She smiled faintly. Mo Ye is here, she just knew he is here.

"Just as I express my heart
Calamity befalls us
In my past, present and future lives
Ill meet you in every dream
Waving a sleeve to summon a sky full of fireflies
The faint glow in our palms reflecting in our eyes
Looking back and leaving reluctantly
This love lingers in my heart for you
Next life, Ill never be separated from you again."

His thoughts processed. Mo Ye cant tell whether to show up or not. Just a moment ago, he told her they cant be together. But why did he come back? Isn't he fooling himself?

He just felt this was right, but wrong. The void in his heart was filled, more than the illusion when he was with Mi Cha. Yet, people would choose to yearn for what is forbidden.

"Worldly bonds are like a stream of fireflies
Our eye deeply locked then becoming peaceful
Illuminating our paths
Sparkling like a star-studded sky through the night
In this life, I wish to live in harmony with you."

Hong Cha removed the clip. She traced the delicate details the camellia has. The camellia was real but difficult to damage. She cant even pluck a petal off its bud. A male god is really incredible. They can mess life and death. Hong Cha saw a shadow move behind her.

"Mo Ye, you're back so soon?" she faintly asked without looking back. Mo Ye is already standing behind her. Hong Cha turned to him and smiled as if he never bid a bitter farewell. "How come? Are you going to stay here? Do you also-"

"No." he interrupted her words and knew what her question is. Her smile slowly faded. Hong Cha lowered her head while fiddling with the flower.

"Why do you have to leave? Cant you stay?" her tone trembled and a tear dropped down the red petals.

Mo Ye reached his hand forward to wipe her tear but he stopped midair. His hand closed and lowered.

"I was having second thoughts. However, I am sober now. Apology for the disruption." Mo Ye steeled his heart. He wanted to turn his back when Hong Cha stood up and hooked her arms around his neck. Their lips touched, one that is soft and plump, one that is cold and thin. Mo Ye didn't do anything. She skimmed through his lips in a slow way but her pearly tears continuously flowed painfully. Mo Ye closed his eyes. He opened his mouth and reciprocated. This is wrong, she is a mortal, he is a demon. With these factors, his only heart left started pulsing with a stinging sensation. Mo Ye didn't stop.

He had dreams before, where he was a mortal as he kept meeting a princess. They were so intimate, she would insist for him to kiss her but he would refuse. Yet, he would still end up pressing their lips. That feeling of comfort, of warmth, of bliss, it was the same of what he felt right now. And he cant ignore it or step away.

This scene fell over Mi Cha's sight. A mortal girl desperate to make a demonic deity stay. Mo Ye held Hong Cha in his arms, ignoring the burning of the pattern on his wrist. Mi Cha glanced at her wrist where the same pattern was glowing. It was starting to fade. When Mo Ye parted from Hong Cha, the pattern became faded. She doesn't know if she should be happy or not, that Mo Ye is beginning to forget his grudge. Mi Cha decided to intervene. She stepped into the backyard which attracted their attention.

Hong Cha was frozen in place to see the same face of her third host, Mi Cha. Could this be a coincidence? Mi Cha maintained her sight on Mo Ye. He let Hong Cha go.

"Mo Ye, you are killing yourself." Mi Cha started. Hong Cha looked back to Mo Ye. He took her clip and gently arranged it on her hair. Mo Ye cupped her face with a hand, locking their gaze deeply.

"Girl Hong Cha, till fate allows it, we will meet." his expression softened and his detached demeanor gone. The warmth on her cheek faded as the man left with steady steps. Hong Cha can only stare on his back. Mo Ye thought to himself, "Don't look back, don't hesitate. After this, I can forget her too and focus on ruling a kingdom first. Yes, that can take my mind off her. In no time, she will have a family and maybe once I return, both of us are used without each other's accompaniment. Don't look back."

Mi Cha held his hand. Hong Cha wanted to risk it. She faced them when red camellia petals scattered around them.

"Mo Ye!" she called his name but it was too late. They're gone. Hong Cha breathed heavily. "System, Mo Ye had regained his memories, isn't it time for me to return?"

[Wrong, Host. Jie Zhang is still alive. He is the current emperor of Jin. There is an immortal princess notifying him about the male god's whereabouts. In no time, Jie Zhang will find a way to meet the male god again.]