Arc 5: A Concubine's Duty (144)

Bai Fuxi returned to the governor's estate. He was reminiscing the moments he shared with Hong Cha a while ago. She suddenly cried, which caught him off guard and dispelled the dismay he had. She was his subordinate, since two years ago. She worked for him to gather information and she was nothing than a tool for his temporary reign. But why is he feeling this remorseful? This pity? This...this pain?

He glanced upwards when he saw new guards stationed by the estate's gate. They bowed to him in respect.

"Chancellor, the Grand General wished to speak with you."

"Oh." General Yu is here, huh. Was this because of Yu Anwei again?

Lately, Yu Anwei has been avoiding Yu Yaochuan. Bai Fuxi doesn't know why she changed heart but he is not a bit affected she stopped having an affair.

"Father-in-law, greetings." Bai Fuxi bowed a bit upon meeting General Yu. Yu Anwei was also with them and her complexion was pale, her eyes were red as if she had cried moments ago.

"Where is Yu Huang?" General Yu asked, his gaze narrowed and sharp.

"Well, Yu Huang doesn't want to stay here and asked me to bring him to an inn." he lied straightforwardly. If he says Yu Huang was with his woman, General Yu will investigate and will surely find out Hong Cha's identity as a previous prostitute. General Yu will not like that and he will take a step to keep those two apart. Though Bai Fuxi formed those feelings for Hong Cha, he refused to admit he is in love since all his life, his ambition had filled his thoughts. Love was never in his vocabulary.

Yu Anwei clenched her fists and turned her back to leave. She felt extremely furious of what is happening. Her past life is being repeated again but there is a slight change. That prostitute was actually her sister!

"It is good he is not with this Hong Yingcha." General Yu was relieved. He looked back to Bai Fuxi whose attention was to the fleeting Yu Anwei. "Fuxi, it has been so long since you married my daughter. When can there be a child?"

"Do you wish to rush us, old man?" Bai Fuxi scoffed in his heart though he kept his gentle appearance outside. He knew General Yu is up to something again. "Weiwei and I had tried. It is not productive."

"Then, I shall bestow my second daughter to you. I presume you had met her before and surely will like her."

Hong Cha had finished preparing breakfast when Yu Huang arrived in the kitchen. She wanted to smile but her carefreeness disappeared when she noticed he was half naked.

"Ah Huang, its so early, ah. Get changed." her smile froze a bit and took a seat but Yu Huang just grinned and sat across her.

"You are not that shy?"

"Why should I be? I've seen men naked, but not you." her gaze wandered shamelessly over his body and Yu Huang had to clear his throat, the tip of his ears in the red shade. Hong Cha laughed a bit. She poured tea for the two of them so she could stop being a lecher. Ai, how she wish she could find someone as innocent as Yu Huang. Unlike Bai Fuxi and the others, pure perverts, pei!

"Ying'er, I want to stay here for this day. I am required to return tomorrow to the capital, for the marriage." his voice went downcast with what he mentioned. Hong Cha stopped and nodded.

"Want to come with me to the flower stall? Help me a bit, I have to pick flowers too." she changed the topic, knowing he doesn't feel good in mentioning his marriage.

Hong Cha handpicked the flowers she was selling from a hill secluded to the city's eyes. It was her silent place and she enjoys plucking flowers here. She only comes here once in a week since System Wu helps her keep them fresh.

"Ah Huang, be careful. Its not necessary to uproot them!" she shook her head when Yu Huang uprooted a flower. He can only smile apologetically and scratch the back of his head. "This is how. Just be careful with the stem and don't let the petals get broken."

She finds it funny she is teaching a rough general to be gentle and caring. Somehow, being with an innocent man made her feel safe, safe from bee stings...

Yu Huang stayed with her all day, even taking care of the stall. She thought this could last when soldiers came with General Yu. They are nearing the stall and Yu Huang is with her. He quickly hid her behind him and met his father's seething gaze.

"Why are you here?" General Yu asked first, his cold eyes sweeping towards Hong Cha. "Do you like her?"

Yu Huang turned to Hong Cha and nodded honestly. General Yu tried to calm down.

"Bring her to the estate. We have something to discuss, regarding her. However, I do not wish to harm her." General Yu offered. Yu Huang held Hong Cha's hand in a secured manner.

Hong Cha have no idea why General Yu wasn't mad to find his son with her. She is infamous in the capital and General Yu had seen her many times. Its possible he knew she is a prostitute.

"Yu Huang, there is something you should know." General Yu started, his back facing them as they entered a courtyard with only the three of them around.

"Father, I do not wish to marry Princess Feng. Let me and Ying'er be together. I asked for your permission." Yu Huang sincerely knelt down and cupped his hands with his head bowed to show his earnest intention. Yet, General Yu sighed heavily.

"You cannot."

"Ah Huang, give up already." Hong Cha knelt beside him and leaned on his shoulder. She felt sorry for Yu Huang but he will surely realize soon that she is nothing compared to the wealth the marriage ahead him could give.

"Father..."

"Hong Yingcha is my daughter, thus, you cannot." General Yu's words brought shock to Yu Huang. Hong Cha was slightly stunned.

"How- how is this possible?! She's not... Ying'er is not!" Yu Huang refused to acknowledge the bitter truth. "She is not related to me, yes? You married my mother and I was already a child back then. Its not possible!"