Arc 5: A Concubine's Duty (149)

Hong Cha watched how Bai Fuxi embraced another woman, how he caressed Yu Anwei's tears away in a loving manner, how he kissed her. She just watched without uttering a single sound but she could feel her heart thumping with unwillingness. Soon, her lashes trembled and a wave of envy washed over her. She refused to submit to her feelings and blinked, avoiding to let a single drop of her tears to fall. Why should she envy Yu Anwei? Why should she feel unwilling? What rights does she have, as a concubine, as a transmigrator, to ever love him?

"Bai Fuxi, you scum." She finally found her voice and cursed him in a low cold tone. What had he done to her?

"Don't cry, I can't even remember what I had said." Bai Fuxi explained upon breaking the kiss. Yu Anwei smiled, holding his hand back as her tears of joy fell. "H-hey..."

"This is nothing." She never thought a moment like this would occur in her life. She knew she could be blind and deaf just for Bai Fuxi. Let the others go, there will only be him and her.

That's right, only the two of them. Hong Cha will definitely agree. She is just a concubine here, she only transmigrated to keep him safe.

[Host, you're developing feelings for the male god.]

"No!" She refused to acknowledge it. She shouldn't love, she should not!

After what she had experienced with men, on how fickle they were, there is no such thing that could encourage her to love a man. It would have been fine if someone like Ying Wenxiang. But Bai Fuxi? How laughable.

"I... I don't..." She closed her eyes in frustration, a pair of pearly tears fell but she held back with all her heart. "I must not..."

With Bai Fuxi making sure Yu Anwei doesn't get sick again, they interacted more often and Hong Cha became a shadow casted aside. His dreams didn't leave him but he tried to focus on his wife. Yu Anwei seemed to have forgotten about Yu Yaochuan and kept her attention to her husband. Quickly, she recovered and even initiated to spend time with Bai Fuxi whenever he is working at home.

"System Wu, is the male god safe now?" Hong Cha has been monitoring them for days. She endured the heartbreak she felt every time she saw them in a warm harmony. Maybe it's time for her to leave and forget her feelings now?

[Not yet, Host.]

Hong Cha gave up. She lowered her head on her propped arms that are on top of the marble table. Her clear tearful eyes stared on the jug and cup of wine in front of her. She had stayed outside all night, even secretly hoping he would visit just for once. Just once before she leaves...

"Bai Fuxi..." Her hands formed to fists, tears dampening her cheeks. A sob unexpectedly escaped her lips. Her sight became blurry when she came to notice a person in white robes across her, the marble table being their barrier. She wiped her tears to see the crane embroideries on the white robe. She raised her gaze and her lips gaped with a choked gasp.

"I..." Bai Fuxi avoided her gaze and sighed. He only came here out of impulse. He remembered he have a concubine only after General Yu asked about her condition too. Bai Fuxi turned back to leave. "I should go."

Hong Cha can't believe he saw her cry and maybe he even heard her call his name. The next moment, she realized she stopped him by holding his hand. Bai Fuxi looked back.

What is she doing?!

Shouldn't she stay low and let the two fix their relationship? Just why is she stopping him to leave?

"C-can we talk?" She stammered a bit in nervousness. She must be crazy for risking her mission and profession, just for a male god who doesn't even know her.

"En." Bai Fuxi agreed. He waited for her to speak first but she seemed uncertain of what to say. Thus, he asked first. "Why are you getting drunk?"

Hong Cha lowered her head. "I... I was lonely. You and my sister are getting along, what is my use here? If, if you could, please divorce me."

"Divorce you...?" He was taken aback. Divorce her? Could he?

"Yes. Elder Sister loves you. And I hope you can grant my freedom." Once she leaves, they can continue expanding their feelings. While she, she will return to Earth 1 and get rid of these unnecessary emotions.

"If you say so." Bai Fuxi nodded. He had held her back for years. He used her, just like how he used the girl in his dreams and it ended very tragic. He is afraid, for the first time; to experience such loss.

Hong Cha should be happy to hear what he said but she can't control it anymore. She cried, her sobs kept, her shoulder shook and her tears continuously fell like fleeting blossoms. Still, she was holding his hand.

"I don't get it. Why- why am I crying like this?" She said as if asking him and herself. Hong Cha wanted to plead but she kept her desire to stay, in her mind. She should leave, she should go now, but her feet stood on its ground.

Still, he was just still. Bai Fuxi felt distressed but right now, he is choosing his dream over the reality he had hated. He definitely hates his life. He wanted a rest and so, he found peace in his dreams with that woman. She smiles at him, she goes with him, she loves him. It was like an obsession he was meant to discover and never forget. Thus, he have no heart to comfort the other woman with him tonight.

"Can't you say, have you ever felt anything for me?" She wanted to remember him until her next transmigrations. She will never forget him even if he reincarnates to someone else. "Just a bit?"

"... Guilt."