Arc 5: A Concubine's Duty (140)

Hong Cha already took her belongings when she saw Yu Huang dazedly looking at the old unkept lawn next to the brothel. She recalled that is where Hong Yingcha used to play. On a certain day, she can no longer see Bai Fuxi walking the same pavement. Hong Yingcha waited and waited as carriages and strangers passed by. She kept peeking from the fences when someone overshadowed her. The young girl saw Yu Huang stopping in front of the fence. He was young back then and he was full of smiles unlike now, he rarely smiled because of his bloodstained hands.

She asked why Bai Fuxi was no longer appearing here and he explained the other boy already rode a carriage whenever he travels. Hong Yingcha was disappointed. Yu Huang pitied the girl and handed her a banknote she could use to buy a new doll since her toy is already too old and ragged. From then on, the next boy she would greet was Yu Huang. Though he is a young master, he chose to walk and would often meet Hong Yingcha. However, their interaction didn't last long. He became ambitious to inherit his father's position. Thus, he disappeared just like Bai Fuxi. None of the two ever said farewell to her.

"Ah Huang." she hugged his arm with a cheeky smile on her face. Fortunately, there is Yu Huang she can rely on. He turned to her and saw the doll they bought when she was just a kid. Who could have expected she would bloom too early? It saddened him another man made her blossom. Hong Cha noticed his gloominess so she looked down abashedly before holding his hand. "Ah Huang, where are you taking me? It cant be you are bringing me to your manor? That is not right. Im infamous here. Moreover, I can affect your status. I don't want you to fail because of me."

"I thought of that. So, while I am still not a first-rank general, I want to give you a peaceful life." Yu Huang faced her and held her shoulder. He smiled to assure her. "Ying'er, in truth, I like you. However, even though I wish to be with you, I cant. I have my priorities first. Once I reach my ambition, we can be together. For now, I will not pursue this matter. You can live on your own. I prepared a residence for you near my manor. In that way, we are not too far. Ask anything you'll need and I can provide it to you."

"Many thanks." Hong Cha hugged him. Hong Yingcha is really lucky to have encountered Bai Fuxi and Yu Huang. She is just unlucky she caused another woman to be full of vengeance. If she hadn't been as ambitious as other women, she wouldn't have suffered miserably under Yu Anwei's plots. Hong Yingcha failed to protect herself and was humiliated seriously. Even Yu Huang felt disgust and contempt to her. His admiration for Hong Yingcha became hatred.

Hong Cha was actually glad and gratified to Yu Huang's decisions. She was given a simple residence in a different county under the governance of Yu Huang's friend which is outside the capital. No one will know who she is if she lived there. Moreover, Yu Huang gave her money to start a small business for her living. Hong Cha thought of a flower shop since its in the midst of spring. She would also use Hong Yingcha's beauty to attract more customer, very effective, if their wives don't find out their husbands are ogling her.

"Gentleman, this flower is expensive." she reluctantly said as a man in his thirties asked for a bouquet.

"No worries, pretty miss, I can afford it." he returned a smile while checking her. Hong Cha knew but didn't bother since her current body is way too seductive.

"You old man!" suddenly, a lady came forth and slapped the back of the man's head. "I knew you were cheating! You, woman, how dare you?!"

"A-ah? Lady, you misunderstood. Your husband was looking for the most expensive bouquet for you. Like these pretty pink camellias in the bouquet, it meant 'I long for you'. See? The husband is trying to please its very beautiful wife." Hong Cha quickly said, using her skills of compliment as the lady soon calmed down.

She have another satisfied customer. Hong Cha was arranging a bouquet when a new person arrived. She stopped picking flowers and turned around to see a man in neat white robes with golden intricate. Her mouth hang loose, why is Bai Fuxi here?!

"Good day." Bai Fuxi simply greeted before turning to the arranged flowers in front of the store.

"M-Minister Bai, hello. Looking for a bouquet for the wife?" she quickly calmed herself and approached him. Why is he outside the capital? Isn't he worried for the young king?

"Perhaps." he wasn't sure. He just came here to see her. Yu Anwei is also with him since General Yu insisted for him to bring his daughter.

"Brother Bai! Quick! She likes roses!" suddenly, a boy rushed to Bai Fuxi. He picked a rose from the baskets and ran to a girl of his age. Hong Cha wanted to curse, that was the young boy king! Just what are they doing here?

"How much was that?" Bai Fuxi looked at Zhao Quai who is courting a girl. Ah, he's so proud of Zhao Quai, being a charming man at this age. Of course, he taught everything that the king knows.

"Five hundred taels." Hong Cha joked but was stunned when he handed her a banknote. "H-hey, that was only five taels, why give me this much?"

"Extra service." he nonchalantly said.

"Y-you! Im not doing it!" she felt her cheeks burning as she threw the banknote back when Bai Fuxi held her back.

"Im just jesting." Bai Fuxi grinned, she's cute when annoyed.

"Minister Bai, you have a wife. Please do not joke like that." Hong Cha searched through his gaze but Bai Fuxi is good at hiding his thoughts and feelings. Such a pretty, pretty male god. He's a wolf in a sheep's clothes anyway, she wouldn't risk bedding him. Moreover, she have to fix his relationship with Yu Anwei.