Arc 5: A Concubine's Duty (148)

Hong Cha was alone in her courtyard, yet again. She seemed to have immediately lost her favor which mocked her status in the manor. Bai Fuxi hadn't visited her for once in these past weeks. Whenever she asks the handmaidens she have, they would say he was working in the study even late at night. Rumors were also circulating that Bai Fuxi fell in love to another woman and he is looking for her. Hong Cha and Yu Anwei doesn't get it. Yu Anwei was confused since in her past life, Bai Fuxi didn't fall in love. Hong Cha felt the same because according to System Wu, Bai Fuxi doesn't have a female mate.

His dreams are getting worse. It started with a nightmare and as if time restarted, he began dreaming of a different scenario where the girl was just little until they saw on another again when she reached the right age. Bai Fuxi thought it was a good tale that'll go well. However, as his dreams proceeded, they became a heartache. He cant do anything in the dream aside from using her for his own gain while she was trying to show him her true feelings.

"What's her name?" he asked himself one night, all alone in his study where vague sketches of a girl was scattered. He had done his best to remember but he keeps forgetting Even her name, it was on the tip of his tongue but he cant figure it out. "Xiao... Xiao... What Xiao?"

"Lord." a guard knocked on the door. Bai Fuxi stopped thinking and hummed. "Madame got sick. The doctor said her emotions are unsteady, causing her to be depressed and she refused to eat or sleep."

Bai Fuxi huffed, closing his eyes for a moment. Something is missing with the word Xiao, but he cant recall what it was. He picked a sketch with his brows furrowed before he stood up and let it fall on the floor. Whoever she is, he thought, she must be found.

"It is good he visited Yu Anwei." Hong Cha sighed in relief the next morning after receiving the news from System Wu. She was taking a walk to the outer court's garden when she saw a familiar person. It was Yu Yaochuan. "Just what is he doing here again?"

She hid behind a moon gate and oversee what is happening with her unlocked skill.

"Hand it to Yu Anwei." he gave a paper to a maid who nodded in return. Yu Yaochuan watched the maid enter the gate before leaving.

The maid was walking towards the zhengfang when in a sudden, Hong Cha stepped out of a path and blocked her way. She was scared witless to see Hong Cha's narrowed cold gaze at the letter the maid was holding.

"Let me see that or I will tell Husband about this." she reached her hand out and the maid was intimidated with her cold attitude. Hong Cha received the letter.

"He wants to meet with her?" she doesn't like where this is going. Hong Cha is here to keep those husband and wife in love but Yu Yaochuan is messing her plan. Thus, she tossed the letter to a pond, causing the made to be flustered. "The Madame is Minister Bai's main wife. How dare a physician do this. If you stop delivering these messages to the main wife then I will not open this matter to Minister Bai."

"Y-yes, Mistress." the maid nervously said.

Yu Anwei kept her gaze on Bai Fuxi. He was sitting on a chair with his head on the bedside. It was obvious he lack sleep but his pale complexion didn't cause his charm to diminish. She was facing him and she could see him up close. He is really beautiful and she could remember because of this face, he was admired by pageboys too. In her past life, she got furious to find out a pageboy confessed to her husband. She wasn't happy at all but Bai Fuxi told her it is not her business to meddle with him. Ah, how gentle and angelic he looks, his personality wasn't at match at all.

"Bai Fuxi, I can still forgive you. But please, get rid of those women. I only want us together." Yu Anwei held his hand and leaned closer till their lips touched. She closed her eyes to savor the moment but Bai Fuxi woke up.

"Xiao Cha?" his eyes were blue in a mere second. Yu Anwei was unable to see when she lifted her eyelids and moved away.

"Xiao Cha?" she questioned back. Her hatred appeared once more as she clenched her fists on the bedsheet. "Bai Fuxi! Who am I to you?!"

Bai Fuxi's sight went clear. He cant remember why he called out that name, maybe because he is thinking of Hong Cha again?

"What the hell...?" Hong Cha's lip twitched while watching this scene unfold from the monitor in front of her. She almost wanted to cry to see the heartwarming moment a while ago but Bai Fuxi called her and ruined the mood! He's such a killjoy, a dumdum! "Bai Fuxi! Just what do you think you're doing?!"

"Did I say something?" Bai Fuxi dared to snort though he cant remember just what did he say a while ago. He was dreaming again and this time, he was sure he called that woman's name yet he can't even recall a thing.

Yu Anwei wanted to get angry at him. She opened her mouth to say hateful words when in a sudden, Bai Fuxi held her face. He lunged forward in a sudden both of them fell back on the bed as he bestowed her a passionate kiss.

Yu Anwei was struck with an unexpected bliss, Hong Cha though felt her heart shatter.

Bai Fuxi just kissed her to keep her quiet and avoid another drama with her. He had enough thinking of that woman in his dreams, this other one in his arms is also another matter he have to take care of.