Arc 5: A Concubine's Duty (139)

"Eh?" Hong Yingcha raised her head to see a familiar figure passing by the fence. She took her doll and headed to the open gate. Bai Fuxi was walking with Yu Huang as they chattered. The imperial court was close to the brothel and old officials loves to play there. Hong Yingcha knew but it was her first time seeing young men treading this path. She stepped on a rock and poked her head out of the tall fence. Bai Fuxi paused to notice the movement. Their gaze locked and he blinked first. Hong Yingcha grew up with courtesans who likes to pick pretty men so she also dreamed of entertaining them. Seeing Bai Fuxi, she cant help but smile. "Hi!"

"Uh, hi?" Bai Fuxi reluctantly greeted her. Yu Huang stopped too. Hong Yingcha came out of the empty lawn to have a closer look at him. Her eyes sparkled to see him clearly.

"May I know Young Sir's name?" she immediately asked with a hint of excitement. Yu Huang nudged Bai Fuxi so he could answer the girl.

"Bai Fuxi." he simply said. Bai Fuxi frowned since there are no households here. "Girl, are you lost? Where do you live?"

"No, Im not." Hong Yingcha pointed at the brothel. "I live there. Madame Rong is my foster aunt. My name is Hong Yingcha and I like your face. You look so pretty~."

"Pfft!" Yu Huang stifled his laughter. A straight confession from a little girl when those ladies at their age would stammer.

"This Young Sir is also handsome, but he looks cold. May I know your name?" she turned to Yu Niang next since Bai Fuxi was rendered speechless.

"Ah Huang is my nickname." he used his other reference than his real one. Yu Huang finds the girl interesting. "We should get going. Keep safe, alright? Don't let lechers touch you."

"They don't. Madame said they couldn't because Im too young." Hong Yingcha answered and received a smile from Yu Huang. She silently watched the two leave. Every time Bai Fuxi goes to the marketplace, he have to pass by the brothel and empty lawn. The young girl would pop her head from the dusty fences and greet him. He would choose to ignore her because he knew she will become a courtesan one day.

In few years time, Bai Fuxi was promoted. He had his own manor and servants. Without the need to walk, he chose to ride carriages instead. He still get to see Hong Yingcha playing all alone in the empty lawn. Every time the carriage gets close to the brothel, he would lift the curtain to subconsciously look outside. Until one day, he can no longer see her there. He was worried for a bit as to where the little girl went.

Thus, he decided to walk on his own just to meet Yu Huang in a teahouse nearby the brothel. To his dismay, she wasn't in the lawn. Bai Fuxi stopped in front of the open door of the brothel, only to see the girl being molested by ugly men. His face became gloomy. She still looked calm and not a tinge of shyness was on her face even though those men are playing with her body. Hong Yingcha raised her head to see him. She froze and lifted her hand to wave. However, Bai Fuxi showed a look of disdain and left. He only saw her face turning sad.

"Oh, Prime Minister." a lady called his attention. Bai Fuxi stopped reminiscing and looked ahead. He has been waiting for Hong Cha by the lounge and Madame Rong was the one who came out instead. "We are so sorry but our Little Ying was bought yesterday."

"Bought?" he frowned, his brows creasing.

"Yes. General Yu Huang came here yesterday and bought her. He gave too much amount so we have no choice but to give Little Ying. At least, she is in good hands."

Bai Fuxi was stunned. Yu Huang bought her? Why?

He felt suffocated in his chest. She's finally free, which he could have done for her but he didn't. Yu Huang already owns her.

Yesterday...

"Ah Huang!" Hong Cha embraced Yu Huang who entered the brothel at night. The other courtesans cant help but snort. They knew her favorite customer was Yu Huang. Though Bai Fuxi often asks for her service, she wasn't as excited when Yu Huang comes to visit her. Hong Cha rubbed her face on his chest like a coquettish cat. She can almost wag a tail and wave fluffy ears for him. Yu Huang was pleased and rubbed her head.

"Ying'er, lets go to your room. I have something to tell you." he whispered in secret. Hong Cha nodded and brought him to their dorm. It was forbidden to bring outsiders in the dorm but since Yu Huang have a high position, the guards didn't stop him. He took a pause to see countless paintings in her room. The last time he came here, it was before he left the capital and there was only one painting of him. But now, there are numerous of his image and some were other pretty men. His eyes darkened. "Who are they?"

"Oh, nothing. From my imagination." she lied with a straight face. Yu Huang didn't ask further. He showed a dissatisfied look with her small room.

"Ying'er, are you tired of your job?" he turned to her and asked softly. Hong Cha can almost cry. She can barely avoid those lechers trying to buy a night with her and the Madame is running out of patience with her pickiness. The girl nodded fervently and leaned on him.

"Ah Huang, I don't want to stay here. Its just that no one can bring me out because of the price. Im the most sought prostitute here. If I get lost, Madame Rong will lose a lot of profits. She placed a high price on me if anyone dares to buy me." Hong Cha played her beauty trap, this is her chance to get out. "Ah Huang, I am not pure anymore but you are the only man who wouldn't dare to touch me. I was impressed and I find it unfair for you. If only I am like those normal girls outside. Maybe I will be more fit to be with you."

"You don't have to worry." Yu Huang pressed their foreheads and cupped her face. "I'll bring you out this instant. You don't have to sell yourself anymore."