Arc 5: A Concubine's Duty (143)

"Yu Huang, stand up." Bai Fuxi helplessly shook Yu Huang who was leaning on him. Yu Huang was so drunk he can almost sleep. He raised his fist to knock on the door again when it opened and nearly landed on a full chest. His hand paused on time as his eyes met a pair of reddened ones. Did she cry?

"Minister Bai? Ah Huang?" she didn't expect they would come her so late. Once Yu Huang heard her voice, he pushed Bai Fuxi and embraced Hong Cha. She staggered back in unsteadiness. "Ah Huang, why are you drunk?"

"Ying'er... Let me sleep here..." Yu Huang said and even dared to rest his head on her chest. Hong Cha's face went red. He's drunk so she could let this slide.

"Minister Bai, help me bring him to my room." she looked at Bai Fuxi in a cold manner. There is a high chance he is Gu Zixing, or was it Yu Huang?

Bai Fuxi was confused why she was looking at him that way but he still helped her bring Yu Huang to her room. Hong Cha said nothing else and brought a basin of water and towel. She carefully removed Yu Huang's upper clothes and cleaned him through the damp fabric.

"Xiao Cha."

Her body stiffened to hear Bai Fuxi.

Xiao Cha, heh.

"Aren't you supposed to be with your wife? Why are you still here?" Hong Cha stood up and left the room to return the basin in the kitchen. Her eyes widened when Bai Fuxi held her waist from behind and leaned closer to her ear.

"Well, I decided to spend a night with the other woman." Bai Fuxi whispered with his playful tone. Hong Cha closed her eyes, her chest heaved and she found the courage to glare at him.

"Minister Bai, for the better, please be with your wife. Ah Huang is also here so please-"

"Xiao Cha, who were you before? What had you vowed that fateful night?" his eyes went cold as he made her face him. Bai Fuxi can still remember, the night he spared Hong Yingcha. She was so thankful to him she even promised never to leave his side. "And what? You are not afraid because Yu Huang is here? Xiao Cha, recall who gave him the position and authority he has now. Recall who can have it back in one mere command. Then how will he end after?"

Hong Cha became furious she raised her hand and dared to slap him.

[Host...]

"Bai Fuxi, whoever you are, I don't give a single care because you are him!" she trembled in anger and the fury she kept had started to spill. Hong Cha thought she was crazy. Her tears fell though she was furious. She could hardly see him in a clear way but her heart beats in pain. Her hands clenched on her chest to feel her heaving breaths. "You... you were him. This whole time... Why did I even love someone like you?"

Bai Fuxi didn't respond. He just have a feeling she wasn't speaking to him directly.

"Him? Which and who?" he finally found his voice after a while. His question made her pause.

"... You. Was always you. Why? Why do you want it to be this difficult? Why cant you just leave!?" Hong Cha pushed him but Bai Fuxi suddenly pressed her back to the counter.

"Xiao Cha, tell me what I did wrong." Bai Fuxi cant bear to hurt her further. He wiped her tears and raised her head to keep her tearful eyes on him. A gentle smile formed from his face, illuminating the warmth from candlelight around them.

There were so many. He have done so many misdeeds and the painful part was that he used her for another woman he cared. But if he doesn't love her, why did he promise such thing? Was it because he was just guilty?

"Xiao Cha, don't cry, en?"

Yet, even if he coaxed her, she found herself bursting to tears instead. Hong Cha's hands found their way on his robe, clenching tightly as if he was the last person she could hold on.

Why are they in this mess?

What had she done wrong? What were his reasons behind these? Can they just go back to time and rewrite their fate?

"Camellia." upon opening her eyes, she found herself in a void filled with glowing fireflies. Gu Zixing was embracing her instead of Bai Fuxi. "Always remember, always remember I am atoning for my sins, for your forgiveness. I know you are confused but please, bear for a while. One day, I will cease to exist and you will be free."

"Why in this way?" she hoarsely asked amidst her tears and cries of anguish. She could feel his hold tightening and his shoulder shook.

"Camellia, I..." he burrowed his head on her shoulder. He did his best to hide his sorrows but he cant stop in front of her. "I... I love..."

 [Host, I am sorry but this is against the rules.]

A cold robotic voice said and Gu Zixing let her go. Hong Cha was puzzled when she noticed he was fading. In a second later, the fireflies were gone and darkness consumed her. With a blink, she was in someone else's embrace.

Hong Cha was shocked she pushed the person she was clinging on to. It was Bai Fuxi but she cant remember anything that happened, why she was hugging him.

"Xiao Cha?" Bai Fuxi got confused. She was relying on him a while ago but why did she suddenly push him away?

"Ahn..." Hong Cha grasped on her hair to feel the pain in her head. Slowly, a blurry image entered her mind. It was like she was being held in someone else's arms, someone she knew but she cant recall.

[Welcome back, Host.]

"What?" she frowned.

"Xiao Cha, if ever you and Yu Huang wont work out, I will bring you to my household instead." Bai Fuxi made her look back to him but then, Hong Cha nodded slowly.

"I doubt. I exist here anyway to stay with you." Hong Cha had completely forgotten her memories a while ago with Gu Zixing. All she knew is that he used her for Red but she cant pique anyone related to him anymore.