Entangled Heartstrings (156)

Gu Jiaoyue stepped out of the pod and looked at the next opening one. Hong Cha fell but he was able to catch her on time. A sigh escaped his lips as he carried her outside the unit. Red was waiting for them outside. She was elated to see him fine.

"Jiaojiao, how is she?" Red turned to Hong Cha. She seemed exhausted and weaker than before.

"She... She fell for the male god."

"We can assist her to forget. I know someone who could help. Though, I expected she will last longer. Jiaojiao, I think you have to guide her on her next mission to avoid this. Don't worry, I won't let anything go wrong here if you're away." Red reached out an idea when Gu Jiaoyue casted her a sharp look.

"Red, you supervise this department. And you let her choose the male god she awakened? Do you know what danger that is? See the result? Hong Cha almost died there." Gu Jiaoyue have a feeling Red is brewing something.

"Jiaojiao, I will tell you then. She awakened three male gods. One of them is Star. It's the reason I deployed her to that world so she could find him sooner. And you just missed the opportunity to bring Star back. Instead, you gave System Wu to her." She took a glimpse at Hong Cha before calming her emotions. "But if you don't Hong Cha to be sacrificed, I have another plan. However, it could endanger her."

Hong Cha opened her eyes to see a familiar scenario. A young emperor stood up from his throne, part of his hair were white though his face was young and gorgeous. There was a broken cup beneath the high stairs as his officials continued to plead for him not to go to war. The place changed once more and she saw the emperor in a warm chamber. A woman in regal empress robes took off his cloak and looked at him with a hint of sadness.

"Your Majesty, who is this Hong Yingcha you're looking for?" She asked, her tone and words were careful not to trigger his anger.

"Someone I forgot." He answered shortly. Then, the young emperor shook his head. "My wife, I am ashamed for how I acted these past days. But something is reminding me of her. She keeps appearing in my dreams and I can't understand why I long for a fantasy untrue. Maybe once I find her, it will be over. The dreams are tormenting me every night."

"I will always be by your side, Bai Fuxi. I will never leave, even if you get to find her." She smiled in comfort and embraced him. Her husband reciprocated gently but his eyes were devoid of feelings.

"Hong Cha?" Hong Cha lifted her eyelids to see Gu Jiaoyue near the bed she was resting at. Gu Jiaoyue was elated she woke up. "Hong Cha, how are you?"

"Bai..." She felt her throat was dry but she tried to mention that certain name. "Bai Fuxi."

"Oh. Don't worry. Bai Fuxi is okay, you saved him though I don't know how you did all of those... But still, you didn't fail." Gu Jiaoyue smiled and opened a monitor in front of her. It showed her the dynasty Bai Fuxi ruled, flourishing and lively. Not a single civilian is unhappy.

Hong Cha watched the pictures changed when she saw a painting. Bai Fuxi is holding Yu Anwei's hand in front of a camellia flower stall. They look happy together.

"But even though you saved him, he is not the emperor in some romance novels that can only be satisfied by one woman." He clicked a device on his hand and showed Bai Fuxi's concubines. Some of them had given birth to cheerful royal children. "The empress is unable to conceive a child so he married concubines after concubines. However, he never favored any of them. Instead, he filled the harem and was seemingly looking for a special concubine he couldn't find. That consort...was you."

In the next scenes, Bai Fuxi was drunk alone, walks alone, oversee camellias alone. He picked one and would smile unconsciously. Once he realized it, he would frown and throw away the flower.

"Gu Jiaoyue." Hong Cha's tone became cold. "I want to get rid if my feelings for him. This will just prevent me from finding Gu Zixing. I already got this far because of your help, it should be my turn to seal the deal."

"Well then." He turned the monitor off and handed Hong Cha a glass of water. "Recover first. And Hong Cha, Zixing did wrong. He's being bothersome, I will punch him if he comes back!"

"You're his brother." Hong Cha huffed, knowing he is trying to cheer her up.

"You really look cute!" Gu Jiaoyue pinched her cheek that Hong Cha winced. She's in the body of a twelve-year-old girl and her adorable face is irresistible.

"Gu Jiaoyue, fancy me and I will tell Gu Zixing!"

"Fancy you? A twelve-year-old girl? I'm not some sick pervert!"

"Your brother is."

"Yeah, I saw it."

"Hey, what?! You saw what we did?!"

"Er.... System Wu showed me...?"

"Gu Jiaoyue! You're sick!"

Their bickering resounded in the room. From outside, Red could hear them. She peeked at the slightly opened door and saw how they interacted closely. A helpless smile formed on her face.

"Star..." She heaved a sigh and left the place. While walking alone, she came to hate the silence around her. "Star, it seems that you still failed to keep her by yourself. How come you're the most unlucky male god? Will you return or traverse worlds after worlds just so Jiaojiao can replace you? Ha... You made your brother worry too much."

[Miss Red.]

Red paused and turned behind to see a pixelated hologram. It was shaped in uneven squares that flowed and regenerated.

"System Wu, no, System Yi." She recognized this special system. Gu Zixing made it himself. It was the most powerful system he created and some warlords even tried to seize it for power but he gave it to Hong Cha instead. Gu Zixing is really careful. He gave the greatest destructive weapon to his brother, Gu Jiaoyue.

[Miss Red, y-you really have no desire to bring Master back?]

Red smiled lightly and nodded. "This was his plan all along. He only needs his Camellia. But watch over her and don't let her love another man. Or else, Star will destroy this world."

[Master wouldn't...]

"System Yi, you don't know what the real Star is capable of. And this problem you, Hong Cha and Gu Jiaoyue is trying to solve; is no problem at all. He's doing this for the better. Even if that means those important to him have to suffer, except for Gu Jiaoyue."

[Miss Red, Master loves her.]

"Yes, I know." Tears fell from her but she continued to smile bitterly. "But I want to see how long can she last. I will make sure Star gets what he deserves."