It's Over

Zaria's Pov

Kyle marched angrily behind Victor towards his office. And Ms. Ellie walked towards me with tears in her eyes and pulled me into a heartwarming, firm hug.

Her hug felt comforting, and gave me enough stability. It felt like my normal life was being pulled from up under my feet, and everything I had been working for was lost.

I let tears run down my face and Ms. Ellie tried to soothe me as best she could.

"I know you this job was just a stepping stone for you. I just.. I just wish that I didn't have see you to go through all of this." She began rubbing my back soothingly. " But I think you stayed at this job longer than you should have. You're young and while I know you have your circumstances that force you to get a job, I don't think it should be with someone like Jack. He's a asshole, who is money hungry and entitled. My biggest regret is even recommending you to him. Especially since he gives you such a hard time. Don't beg him for this job, he needs your service and shouldn't have to dehumanize you to keep you on his workforce. And for the wrong Latriesha's did will come back on her. Don't let her phase you. " Ms. Ellie said truthfully.

I couldn't understand why she would embellish the truth.

"I knew we didn't get along but she didn't have to lie on me like that. I've never done anything to her, hell I even worked here longer. How am I supposed to finish paying for school, he was already slow with giving us our checks, now I have to find another way to make money." I said frustrated.

"Baby sometimes you'll come across people who just genuinely don't like you and find enjoyment out of making your life miserable. You're a good person and a good employee not to mention you had the attention of those nice looking young men today, and she seemed really bothered by that." Ms. Ellie said thoughtfully, "Some women are very competitive when it comes to men. But everyone knew you weren't flirting with them and that you were on break when you did sit at their table. The only reason her story holds any weight is because he wasn't here and she's manipulative."

"It's not fair, I can't convince him to listen to me." I said sadly.  
Chills ran down my spine as images of what could have happened in that office with Jack if I was stuck in there any longer.

I couldn't muster up the courage to tell anyone what happened. Part of me wanted to say that he tried to make an advance at me but I wasn't sure if I should. He always did shit lowkey when no one else was really looking, and I didn't want to jeopardize their jobs too. It would probably just cause more drama. There was already so much going on, and I was already losing enough. I decided I couldn't tell them, because if I told my coworkers it was make things get blown proportion, and if I told my mom she wouldn't believe me.

"I know Victor and Kyle are going to go talk to him. Hopefully he will get some sense. But you don't worry about it, if I have too I'll go talk to him as well."

"Listen Ms. Ellie, I don't want y'all to be fired too. It will be okay."

I only know of one person that could possibly help me but I haven't talked to her in forever. And my mom would kill me if she found out I even still thought of her....

"Well guess what nigga we quit! " I heard Victor scream angrily.

My mouth dropped open.  Victor has been here like forever. He was one of the first people to work for Jack as soon as this place opened. He came back into the kitchen and ripped off his apron.  Kyle came in afterwards looking just as angry as he was.  When he saw me he came over to me into a hug.  I don't know who needed it more me or him.  Soon I felt Victor join in the hug. After a while I feel the hug end and I stood up tall.  No more tears.  I will find a way.

Victor looked at me and cracked a small smile. "Well kiddo I knew you were going to have to move on eventually. But he can't do this to you.  Since you are leaving , I am too.  His actions today were the final straw, I can't work with a man that doesn't respect women. Maybe this is the push I need to create something for myself! Don't feel bad, part of me stayed because I wanted to look after you. But now that you are moving on, I will too.   I can finally open up my own diner.  " he said happily while stroking my hair.

I don't want them leaving because of me, let alone having to start all over.

Kyle must have seen the look on my face because he spoke before I could.

"Jack is a asshole.  He just fired his best worker over a lie. I will have no problem finding another job. " he said.  Then he walked over to me and pulled me into a reassuring hug. "Only person we are concerned about is you.  If you need help with anything including job search, let me know. Don't get down though, you deserve better than this job and this will end up being a blessing in disguise." he said .

As long as I've known Kyle, I'm come to understand just how genuine he is. If he could provide me any help I know he would. At times I wonder just how I came across someone like him and whether our friendship was too good to be true.

With me being a person who hates asking for favors and has a hard time receiving help, I knew that I would exhaust all my resources before I asked for help. Because we were all essentially unemployed in this moment, I wanted everyone to focus on helping themselves before me.

"I appreciate it. But I want all of you to be okay as well. I'll keep you posted on my next move. Thank you all for being there for me."

I gave them a small sad smile and hugged everyone one last time.  I guess it's time for me to start over. And although it was against my character, I had an idea on how I could do it.

I walked out the diner and turned around to look at it for the last time.

New beginnings.  Starting now.

---

Tbc.  Happy easter.!!!