Back to the Norm

Dewayne's Pov

After I left Zaria, I made it back to my car and began driving home. To say I was happy would be an understatement. I was running high on adrenaline.

The mellow sounds of Brent Faiyaz flowed through the speakers. My teammate was listening to this before practice one day, and I didn't understand why listening to slow tempos before practice until I listened to his complete 'A.M. Paradox' EP.

I finally feel like Zaria is coming around. While I know she doesn't fully trust me yet, she is starting to and that counts for something.

I am surprised that I am even in a space where I can potentially take a girl seriously this quick. In hindsight, dating Tracey taught me a lot about being more aware. There were things I didn't see fully, I had to be reminded from different perspectives on her actions. Even though we aren't together; that fact really bothers me.

My thoughts were interrupted by my music suddenly stopping. Seconds later my ringtone rang out loudly. I glanced over and saw that my mother was calling me. Quickly I tried to conceal my annoyance with her stopping my music and answered the phone.

"Yes Ma'am?"

"Hey baby, I was just checking in to see how you were doing before I went to sleep." I heard the faint sound of her shuffling under the comforter.

"I am headed home now. My friends and I chilled and grabbed food for a bit."

"I'm assuming you went with the boys. How are they doing?" She questioned.

"They are doing alright. We are all just trying to maintain a solid start to our season and preparing for midterms."

Man this year is already starting to speed by! But these midterms aren't any different from the ones you've had in the past. Just be sure to continue paying attention and asking questions. And as far as basketball, y'all are going to do great. With your season just starting, you have plenty of time to work things out this season! It shouldn't be too hard, given how well you boys work together. Just try not to overthink it."

"Yeah I hear you. How are y'all doing over there?"

"We're good! Just fed the boys and got them ready for bed. I'm hoping they are already asleep but knowing them, they probably are in there trying to sneak and watch TV."

I laughed. "I mean I can't blame them, I used to do the same thing."

"And that was the problem."

"Bottom line, I never missed school!"

"Of course you didn't! I had to keep coming into your room to wake you up."

"You definitely have a point there." I said jokingly as I merged onto the freeway, "I should be able to stop by and visit y'all soon. Probably sometime before the end of the week."

"Your brothers would love that! If you come tomorrow,I can make one of your favorite; red beans and rice."

"That's a bet! I'll just head over there after practice."

"Be sure to shower now." I could hear her eyes narrowing through the phone.

"Nah, it will add an extra essence to the smell of your cooking." I said, trying to keep a straight face.

"Let's not even play like that. No soap means no meal." She said before laughing.

"Yes ma'am. Well alright I just made it home so I'll talk to you later."

"Alright, I love you. See you tomorrow!"

"Love you too, goodnight."

When the call ended I got out the car. I knew I was home alone because my uncle's truck wasn't in the driveway. So I just headed straight to my room. Once inside, I immediately began preparing for class. Since it was only a quarter before midnight, I had enough time to wind down before bed. Connecting my phone to my speaker, I softly played The Weeknd and started a load of laundry.