Game Day

I thought it would be fun to put together a game day fit so here we go! 😌

Dewayne's Pov

Stepping out of the locker room, I slid on my shooting shirt.

Today, was the start of district. We had a lot to prove this season and given that this was my last time playing for this school, I don't want to leave without making my mark. We still had a bit of time before varsity played and since today our JV and varsity teams played at the same time today, we had a shit load of free time.

Today, we were going against our rivals the Memorial Mustangs. Last year, they beat us and it caused the playoffs. But since this was my last year, I was determined to blow them out of the water and make sure my time went all the way. 

Before dismissal, we all set up the gym for the match, so that we could have free time up until coach came back to get us. Right now, I was on the court just messing around with Dev and Tre . The rest of my team was either eating, sleeping or doing homework. We all had different ways we prepped before a game, so until the last 30 minutes we all were scattered around the gym doing what we wanted. I personally enjoyed a little extra activities, making sure I worked on my form before I sat down and got my mind right for the game. It was also a good time for Dev, Tre and me to chill.

Once we got closer to game time, Coach came back in the gym and made us warm up. The trainers had begun setting everything up, from the ice to turning on our pregame playlist. Meek Mill's "Intro" came on, as we started doing our drills. Coach went over drills and gave us a pep talk.

"Tonight I want you boys to play with integrity. I know they beat us  last year but that's in the past. They're in y'all house now, y'all make the rules. Keep y'all tempers in check because you already they can and will do everything under the belt to take victory. But, we won't take the bait.  I need y'all to keep clear heads because that's when y'all play best. Y'all can be beat them, all you have to do is play smart. To playoffs this year, ya hear me?" He said looking around at all of us in huddle.

"YESSIR." We all said in unison.

"That's what I like to hear." He said with a smile, "Alright go ahead and get hydrated and rest up. They should be here within the next 10 minutes." He said before he walked off taking a call.

We all took a seat trying to get our bearing before tonight's match.  People started coming and filling the stands. I was expected the house to be packed tonight, Memorial students been swearing they are going to get a repeat of last year. All on social media this week, they been talking hot shit. I couldn't wait to embarrass them in front of everyone. We had a lot to prove tonight and there were going to be a lot of eyes on us.

My mind drifted to a certain girl, with smooth brown skin and addicting hazel eyes. I really hope she decides to come tonight. After our little conversation in the hallway, she has been moving in and out my thoughts all day.

The opposing team came in the gym. They were dressed up in their gear and on of the trainers came in with a poster that read; "Memorial The True Mustangs." I rolled my eyes, they were over the too for no reason.

Coach returned and told us we could start shooting around until because the referee hadn't arrived yet. We all decided to play 23 cones. We split into 2 groups and lined up the 23 cones. Once we began playing some people out in crowd began cheering. A grinned in anticipation when it was my turn. Swiftly, I took a shot from the three point line and made it.

All of us only got to go once, before the ref came rushing in. Our trainer picked up the cones and told us to sit tight. Bored once again, I moved to my seat a leaned back putting a towel over my face.