Startin Somethin' (Date Night Part II)

Dev's Pov

As I was picking the song, she said some more slick shit.

"For a gentleman, you sure have certain prejudices about women. Let's not forget you blew the horn whether come to my door." she said pointedly

This caused me to lift a brow. "Remember you are the same woman who asked me to not even come to the door. You said to text you and you'd come outside. I have the message you sent me to prove it. Do you remember what I said to you when you sent that?" I asked.

"I do not recall.." she said impersonating Lil Wayne making me laugh.

"I asked you why I shouldn't go up to the door, like every man is supposed to when there asking a woman to join them on a date. And you was like you was like noonoooo don't do that. So let's just be clear."

"I don't even talk like that ." she said defensively.

"But you ain't denying that's what you said tho?"

".." She just sat there straight facing me.

"So we silent now?" I said while driving.

"Ya know it's really not even that deep cuz," she said quickly, "I just don't trust any nigga coming up to my front door...anymore." She stopped abruptly .

I heard the way her tone of voice changed. I looked over to see she was looking out the window with a crestfallen look on her face.

Well shit, that wasn't the emotions I wanted her to have on our date. I never want her to feel down, but I can't help but wonder why she said it like that. I had to do something, because the date just started. If I didn't act quickly to change the subject the whole vibe might stay off.

Desperate to change the subject I scroll through my phone after we another light and queue all the songs into a playlist.

I glanced over at her and saw she was looking at me with daring eyes. It seemed that, small glimpse of sadness she had was gone, or maybe she just wanted hide it from me, who knows.

"You can go ahead and get ready to hand over the AUX cord now ." she said smartly, "Last warning, before I end up winning the bet." she said smirking.

"How you gon flex and the songs haven't even started.?" I said smirking at her confidence. Shawty was bold as hell, I give her that.

"Because I already know I got this in the bag and we finna jam to all my songs." She said cheesin.

"Iight we will See." I said, just before the queue played.

The first song to play was J.Cole 03' Adolescence.

"La La, La la la la lalaaaa."

"Better get to spittin them bars ma." I said looking over at her.

I chose this song because I didn't just want do a song played everywhere, like wet dream, even though I fuck with that song too. But let's just see if she can rap the whole thing.

"I grew up, a fuckin' screw up

Tie my shoe up, wish they was newer

Damn, need somethin' newer

In love with the baddest girl in the city, I wish I knew her." she said letting the words out skillfully. I listened closely making sure I heard every lyric.

I wish I won't so shy, I wish I was a bit more fly
I wish that I, could tell her how I really feel inside
That I'm the perfect nigga for her, but then maybe that's a lie
She like a certain type of nigga, and it's clear I'm not that guy
Ball player, star player, I'm just watchin' from the side
On the bench, cause my lack of confidence won't let me fly
I ain't grow up with my father, I ain't thinkin' bout that now
Fast forward four years or so from now I'll probably cry
When I realize what I missed, but as of now my eyes are dry
Cause I'm tryna stay alive,
In the city where too many niggas die
Dreamin' quiet tryna dodge a suit and tie
Who am I? Aye who am I? (Yeah)