Something About The Night (Pt.1)

-Ms. Evans in Media -

Dewayne's Pov

The buzzer went off

The buzzer went off .

We been running the same damn drill for like 30 minutes. Coach usually start drilling us even more that usual , around this time. I know it can be beneficial towards games but goddamn man coach gave us only two minutes to get dressed. Like nigga how that work especially with all these damn people in that small as locker room? Since, I am used to the shit, I try not to trip too much.

We were all now getting water when coach marched back in the gym.

"Mustangs front and center!" He called out to get our attention. All of us weren't tryna breathe hard, because would make us get on that line and do some suicide drills. Yea Coach Jones be on that other shit .

He looked at us and narrowed his eyes, aw hell. "Baseline." He said .

Damn it, I know these niggas can control their breath. All of us got caught slipping. I know it was one specific group of niggas in general, but I ain't pointing no fingers.

Coach Jones called out, "You got 4 in 16 seconds , and you better make it..Go."

The whistle blew and we all took off, all the varsity players sped up towards the last 15 seconds making sure we didn't get dusted JV players because we definitely would have to run again.

Once we got back on the line, he kept blowing the whistle, and we kept running until finally he ushered us over. All us held our breath this time.

"Are you tired?" He asked calmly .

"No. !" We all yelled , lying our asses off.

"Okay then. Mills?" He said calling out my last name

"Yes Sir?" I responded.

"Set up teams. Mix varsity with JV on a offensive drill . I want it to run smoothly especially for all of my varsity people seeking college teams. Junior varsity attempting to be on varsity next year this is also your time to shine. After that add in defensive plays, ranging from man on man defense and basic form for defensive plays. I'm watching this so specifically see how long you can keep the other team out the paint. Block shots, be aggressive. If that goes well, we can set up scrimmages. But if it's some half ass shit y'all hitting the track and running until I get tired. " Coach Jones warned us, before heading to his office to get his clipboard.

"Bet. Let's set this up smooth. " I said smirking , finally no more damn running...for now. On this team I learned simple things in like being able to stand in once spot , you have to learn to appreciate.

I picked random people to group up not playing into that favoritism shit. All of us could afford to sharpen skills and when you get put into a new group, you can get more chemistry with your team. I just hoped to get JV took it in and got adjusted. Coach will pull you and your homies apart, if you can't play with the rest of the team. Your overall ability to play with team and execute on the court was only thing that could land you a spot on varsity.