A Slight Shift

Zaria in the Media.

Later that day

Dewayne's Pov

I was sitting down watching one of my favorite movies, Coach Carter.

Ever since earlier today I was still pissed off, because it seemed like no matter where I was Tracey was there , staring me down. Girl ain't nobody tryna worried about you at all.

But honestly I am confused, with myself as well as Tracey.

I mean she had no right right to tell me she loved me if she was fucking another nigga on the side. I had known her since around 8th grade.

She even though I didn't go out with her until high school, I'm the type of person for fall completely in love with a person , and take care of them no matter what. I remember the first moment that we started going out at first, I was hella happy. At the time I wasn't really popular at all while Tracey had been considered one of the finest girls in school.

And although I been raw on the court since I first picked up a basketball, it wasn't until me going out with her that all girls started paying attention. Isn't it crazy how fame works and being taken makes you seem more appealing ...?

And the relationship worked great, I only had eyes for her and she was so beautiful and sweet. It didn't take me long to fall at all, and she was there for me even when the stuff went down with my parents.

When my dad dipped on us with his new wife and kids, I was in a messed up space . The man I looked up to , one of the best dads ever had been cheating on my mom for 4 whole years, and had kids. And when my mom found out he held him being the only one of a well paying job and steady income over her head. And the fact he left his 6 year old son saying he would be back for me, but of course being the lying ass nigga he is, he never did come back . And the worst part about it was he wasn't even sorry about the fact he left my mom , broken and confused. Nah he didn't even give a fuck . And honestly that's probably where the root of my anger comes from . That as well as ,me not tolerating lying and bullshit .

But my mom as heartbroken as she was didn't let it keep her from providing for me and her family she worked 2 jobs from sun up to sun down and still made time to go to church. Even after working 10 hours she would come home and try to make time for me , on make dinner. She taught me at an early age how strong-willed and determined a single-mother is.

I hooped on my free time and focused on school. Every summer we would go to Texas and I would get to hang out with Dev and Tre. All our moms ended up becoming great friends, so close it seemed as though they were long lost sisters. It was one summer my mom told me in tears that she was having issues with the bills back in Philadelphia, so she told me I would have to stay with Dev's mom, until she could figure out everything back home. It was hard for me considering that she was all I had,, but she couldn't afford it and told me she didn't want me to ever be out on the streets. I wanted to stay with her but she being the proud, mom she is told me no. And that's how I ended up in Houston. I acted just like my mom and started working and going to school. So the job I have, my summer job, and money my mom had put away for me helped contribute the apartment I have now and my car.

Having my own space was just a step of many I planned to take . It was hectic at first but now I've gotten used to it. And even though I missed my mom she still checked on me everyday and managed to be one of the realist without even having to be in the same house as me.

I had literally been away from mom without visiting her from 8th grade to my now senior year because she had basically dropped off the face of the grid. It was the scariest point because I feared that something had went down, and as a man I wasn't there to fight and protect my mom.