A Small Piece Of Rebellion

Zaria's Pov (Tracey in media)

I was still reeling from Dewayne pulling me into his seat. The heat radiating off of his hand was something serious. Not to mention, when we locked eyes, he was staring at me with an intense gaze. It was the type of stare that could create shivers all the way down to my toes. Having him and everyone else looking at me felt overwhelming.

Stacey and Candace helped to lighten the pressure and I felt I would be the most comfortable if I just sat with them.

But I was already sitting in a seat by Dewayne. Even at respectful distance, I was nervous. "Why have you been avoiding me?" He asked curiously, glancing at me.

I froze. I honestly hoped he wouldn't notice, or care about me avoiding him. Why was is he even worried?

I couldn't tell him why, especially with him this close. I am doing him a favor. As I was devising a plan on how to avoid this conversation, he picked my chin up with his finger just like he did once before.

The hell? I looked up and saw his faced covered in emotion. It seemed like mixture of concern and something else I couldn't quite pinpoint.

Because I knew I would have to face this, I decided to tell him why. He waited until I finished my statement before Dev, Tre and him basically said they didn't care what people said, and gave me the choice of actually wanting to be friends. While I was relieved that they seemed genuine, I didn't want to trust them too soon, so I decided to still be cautious. I know better than anyone that people's words and actions have to match before I give them my trust.

So I decided to try not to think long term and enjoy the moments while they lasted. I actually enjoyed hanging out with them. So I wasn't against the idea of that continuing, I just didn't want to deal with everyone's eyes on me. After thinking about it I decided we could be friends and just hoped all would go well.

For the rest of the ride, we all talked until we got to school. Topics like homecoming, and the upcoming senior activities were what was discussed.

"Damn right we're going! I've been to other dances and events, but I just have a feeling everything this year gone be live because it's our last year!" Stacey beamed.

"For sure! I can't wait to go, I'm going to look good, and with all the upcoming post-graduation stress, it's going to be nice to just have fun!"Candy chimed in, with a bright smile.

"You already got this year on lock. I'm quite sure you're going to make great memories." Tre smiled at her gently.

Candy looked at him and gave him a smile, "Thanks Tre."

"No el problema hermosa." He said instantly.

Candy's skin flushed, and I could tell she was caught off guard. Shit I was too, that was smooth.

"And Z you gotta join us this year ! We gotta make this year count!" She said quickly averting attention back to me.

Stacey let and small giggle, I think she seen how desperate Candy was to recover from Tre's comment. "Definitely we doing all types of events! Especially the ones in spring.

"We'll see. Hopefully I can get time off." I said shrugging.

"All I know is Homecoming is going to be around the corner before we know it! And I'm beyond excited!" Stacey said excitedly.

The atmosphere around us was mixed. Our friendly group exchange and taken on a different vibe, especially with Candy and Stacey hitting it off with Dewayne's friends. I could tell just how interested they were. I couldn't help but shake my head. They talk about me, but now they are in a similar situation. Being around a person you find attractive affects your behavior, and from there nervous state. I knew I wasn't the only one who felt that.