chapter 17

As soon as we enter the library, Hermione leaves, searching for a book. Me, Harry and Ron sit at a table, getting some books and checking them.

"I had you looking in the wrong section. How could I be so stupid?" Hermione asks herself as she comes to us, dropping a massive book on the table "I checked this out weeks ago for a bit of light reading" Hermione sits down and opens the book.

"This is light?" Ron asks and Hermione looks at him, then the book again.

She puts her finger on a page and looks for the right bit, gasping.

"Of course! Here it is! Nicholas Flamel is the only known maker of the Philosopher's Stone" Hermione says.

"That what?" Me, Harry and Ron ask Hermione.

"Honestly, don't you 3 read? 'The Philosopher's Stone is a legendary substance with astonishing powers. It'll transform any metal into pure gold and produces the Elixir of Life which will make the drinker immortal.'" Hermione reads.

"Immortal?" Ron asks. I rolled my eyes at him.

"It means you'll never die" Hermione explains, looking at Ron quickly, then the book again.

"I know what it means!" Ron says quickly.

"You sure?" I ask, but Harry shushes me while Ron gives me a look.

"The only Stone currently in existence belongs to Mr Nicholas Flamel, the noted alchemist, who last year celebrated his 665th birthday.'. That's what Fluffy's guarding on the 3rd floor. That's what's under the trapdoor. The Philosopher's Stone" Hermione says.

When it turns dark, the 4 of us venture to Hagrids hut, knocking on the door.

"Hagrid-" Harry calls. Hagrid's wearing an apron and gloves.

"Oh, hello. Sorry, don't wish to be rude, but I'm in no fit state to entertain today" Hagrid says and starts closing the door.

"We know about the Philosopher's Stone" all of us say together.

I then smell something cooking, or getting warm. It's like a small sent of burning, but not burning.

"Oh" Hagrid says and lets us in.

"We think Snape's trying to steal it" Harry says.

"Snape? Blimey, you're not still on about him, are you?"

"Hagrid, we know he's after the stone, we just don't know why" Harry says as we all sit down.

"Snape is one of the teachers protecting the stone. He's not about to steal it"

"What?" Harry asks.

"You heard. Right, come on now, I'm a bit preoccupied today"

"Wait a minute, one of the teachers?" Harry asks.

"Of course! There are other things defending the stone, aren't there?" Hermione asks "Spells, enchantments"

"That's right. Waste of bloody time, if you ask me. Ain't no one gonna get past Fluffy. Ain't a soul knows how. Except for me and Dumbledore. I shouldn't have told you that. I should not have told you that" Hagrid says and I look at Harry.

He lifts his hand a bit to stop me from saying that I can calm Fluffy. I nod my head lightly. There is rattling in a pot over the fire and Hagrid looks at it, taking an abnormally large egg out of it, wincing a little and placing it on the table.

"Uh, Hagrid, what exactly is that?" Harry asks after we surround the table, looking at the egg.

"That? It's a... It's um...-"

"I know what that is!" Ron says, interrupting Hagrid and looking at him "Hagrid, how did you get one?"

"I won it. Off a stranger I met down the pub. Seemed quite glad to be rid of it, as a matter of fact" Hagrid says.

We all look at the egg, which movings. There's a cracking noise until the egg bursts, a cute baby dragon getting up and out of it. It looks at all of us, shaking a piece of shell of their head.

"Is that... A dragon?" Hermione asks.

"That's not just a dragon. That's a Norwegian Ridgeback. My brother Charlie works with these in Romania" Ron says as the dragon turns around, stopping at Hagrid.

"Isn't he beautiful? Oh, bless him, look! He knows his mummy" Hagrid says, chuckling a little "'Allo Norbert" Hagrid says, scratching under the little dragon's chin.

"Norbert?" Harry asks.

"Yeah, well, he's got to have a name don' he?" Hagrid asks and Ron stilfles a laugh "Don't you, Norbert?"

"He's charming" I say, gently petting his head.

Norbert hiccups and spits fire, almost lighting Hagrid's beard. Hagrid quickly starts tapping his beard, stopping it from catching on fire.

"He'd have to be trained up a bit, of course" Hagrid says, and Norbert hiccups again, but lightly this time, only creating small sparks "Who's that?" Hagrid asks, looking out the window.

Blond hair quickly ducks out of sight, only being recognised as Draco.

"Malfoy" Harry says.

"Oh dear" Hagrid says.

~~~~~

"Hagrid always wanted a dragon" Harry says as we walk down a corridor "Told us so the first time we ever met him" Harry says, gesturing to both me and himself. I hear footsteps and recognise them as McGonagall.

"It's crazy. N' worse, Malfoy knows" Ron says.

"I don't understand. Is that bad?" Harry asks and I facepalm myself.

"It's bad" Ron says as he looks at McGonagall in fear.

"Good evening" McGonagall greets. Next to her, coming into the light is Draco, looking at us and smirking.

McGonagall leads us to her classroom, where I'm getting ready for her lecture us.

"Nothing, I repeat, nothing gives a student the right to walk about the school at night. Therefore, as punishment for your actions, 50 points will be taken"

"50?" Harry asks.

"Each. And to ensure it doesn't happen again... All 5 of you will receive detention" McGonagall says, Draco frowning and stepping forwards.

"Excuse me, professor, perhaps I heard you wrong. I thought you said the 5 of us" Draco says.

"No, you heard me correctly, Mr Malfoy. You see, honourable as your intentions were, you too were out of bed after hours. You will join your classmates in detention" McGonagall says.

Draco turns to us, me holding back a smile while the others show it.

"Professor, could I at least take my owl and put him back in the dormitories?"

"I shall do it for you. I'll return him to the Slytherin common room and he can make his way back to your dormitories" McGonagall says, and I nod my head.

"Thank you. He's a Eurasian eagle-owl and his name is Malekith. He should be in the Great Hall" I say.

"Alright"