chapter 77

"Attention to detail in the preparation is the prerequisite of all plan" Slughorn says in potions class, but Harry and Ron walk in, Slughorn turning "Harry, my boy, I've been beginning to worry. You brought someone with us, I see"

"Ron Weasley, sir. But I'm dead awful at Potions. A menace, actually so, I'm probably just gonna-"

"Nonsense" Slughorn interrupts "We'll sort you out. Any friend of Harry's is a friend of mine. Get your books out"

"I'm sorry, sir, I haven't actually got my book yet, and nor has Ron" Harry says.

"Not to worry, get what you want from the cupboard. Now as I was saying" Slughorn turns to the rest of the class again "I prepared some concoctions this morning. Any ideas what these might be?" Slughorn asks.

Me and Hermione raise our hands.

"Yes, Miss...?" Slughorn asks, gesturing to Hermione.

"Granger, sir" Hermione answers, then steps forwards to have a closer look "That one there is Veritaserum. It's a truth-telling serum. And that would be Polyjuice Potion. It's terribly tricky to make. This is Amortentia. The most powerful love potion in the world. It's rumored to smell differently to each person according to what attracts them. For example, I smell... Freshly mown grass and new parchment and... spearmint toothpaste" Hermione says lightly, then steps back.

"Yes, now Miss Potter, what is it that you smell?" Slughorn asks.

I smell the love potion, and almost swoon at the smell. I chuckle and look down, then back up at Slughorn.

"The Forbidden Forest, a fireplace and fireworks" I say, blushing heavily.

"Now, Amortentia doesn't create actual love. That would be impossible, but it does cause powerful infatuation or obsession. And for that reason, it is probably the most dangerous potion in this room" Slughorn says as Lavander, Pansy and 2 other girls begin to walk forwards.

Slughorn puts the lid of the Amortentia potion back on, the 4 girls moving back.

"Sir, you haven't told us what's in that one" a girls says, gesturing to a small bottle on a clamp-stand.

"Oh yes. What you see before you, ladies and gentlemen, is a curious little potion, known as Felix Felicis" Slughorn says "But it is more commonly known referred to as-"

"Liquid luck" Hermione says.

"Yes, Miss Granger. Liquid luck. Desperately tricky to make, disastrous should you get it wrong. One sip and you'll find that all of your endeavours succeed. At least until the effects wear off. So this is what I offer each of you today. One tiny vial of liquid luck to the student who, in the hour that remains, manages to brew an acceptable Draught of Living Dead. Recipes for which can be found on page 10 of your books" Slughorn says, everyone quickly looking for page 10 "Should point out, however, only one set of student manage to brew a potion of sufficient quality to claim this prize. Nevertheless, good luck to you all. Let the brewing commence"

Everyone rushes to their desks, but I make my way to mine casually, opening my book and starting on it.

I look at each of the ingredients and tut, knowing that you can't cut a Sopophorus Bean, you have to crush it, and that adding 11 beans won't make it potent enough; just correcting all the ingredients of the potion.

"How did you do that?" Hermione asks as Harry squeezes the Sopophorus Bean juice in his cauldron.

"Crush it, don't cut it" Harry answers.

"No. The instructions specifically say to cut" Hermione argues.

"No, really"

"Well done. You're quite good at potions, Harry" I say, looking up from my book for a moment.