chapter 58

"The Yule ball has been a tradition of the Tri-Wizard Tournament since its inception. On Christmas eve night, we and our guests gather in the Great Hall for well mannered frivolity. As representatives of the host school I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot forward, and I mean this literally because the Yule ball is first and foremost... a dance" McGonagall says. The boys groan, but the girls are more excited "Silence. The house of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizard world for nearly ten centuries. I will not have you in the course of a single evening besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons" McGonagall continues. I see the twins whispering and know they are trying to repeat McGonagall "That's why... I have asked Miss Potter to join me, because she, unlike most of you, knows how to dance"

"Really? What kind?" Lavender asks.

"Well, I can do the tango, salsa, waltz, ballet, all sorts" I reply, smiling at everyone.

"Now to dance is to let the body breathe. Inside every girl a secret swan slumbers longing to burst forth and take flight" Ron whispers something to Seamus "Inside every boy a lordly lion prepared to prance. Mr Weasley, will you join me?" McGonagall asks. Ron gets up "Now, place your right hand on my waist" she says, getting ready to dance.

"Where?" Ron asks, embarrassed.

"My waist" McGonagall repeats.

Ron puts his hand on her waist, but someone whistles, getting Ron's attention. He lifts his hand to attack that person, but McGonagall takes his hand, putting it on her waist again.

"Now bend your arm. Mr Filch" she calls, and Filch put on the music "One two three, one two three, one two three" she counts, Ron dancing with her.

The twins start dancing, making me giggle, but stop myself before McGonagall asks. Harry whispers to the twins, and they shake their heads.

"Everybody come together" McGonagall says, all the girls rising "Boys, on your feet" McGonagall says.

Neville, being the only one, stands.

Me and McGonagall finally get everyone up, everyone pairing up and starting to dance.

I walk down the room, watching everyone carefully.

"Parvati, let him lead you" I say to Parvati as I pass her "Neville, amazing. Oh, Seamus, don't wait for her, you go first. Dean, you're doing great" I say, and get to the back of the hall, seeing Fred by himself "Fred, why aren't you dancing. I need to criticize you for my own enjoyment" I joke.

"I don't have a partner" Fred says.

"Well, there's a couple of girls without partners" I say "What're you waiting for?"

"The right partner" Fred replies.

"And who's that?" I ask.

"You" Fred says, making me blush "You're so cute when you blush" Fred says, taking my wrist and pulling me towards him, our bodies hitting each others.

I smile up at him and take his hand with my right one, my left hand on his shoulder as his right is on my waist.

He smirks, then starts, making me step backwards, then to my left, and forwards, and we dance. Fred lifts me up, then drops me, continuing to lead.

I smile at him and look at his beautiful brown eyes, stopping myself from kissing him.

He dips me, pulls me back up, and stops, letting go of me and bowing. I curtsey, smile, then peck his lips.

"I didn't know you could dance" I say, Fred wrapping his arms around my waist.

I rest my arms on his chest as he smirks at me.

"Didn't know you could either" Fred says.

"Well, you're great at it" I say, then pull him closer to kiss him, but someone clears their throat.

I turn my head to my left, seeing professor McGonagall standing there.

"Sorry, professor" I say, but Fred pecks my lips, then takes my hand, leading me out the room.

~~~~~

Fred comes up to me in the Great hall, and I turn to him, closing my book. He sits next to me, looking pissed, angry and shocked at the same time.

"Hey, what's wrong?" I ask, facing my entire body to him and taking his hands.

He picks up a photo and shows it to me, me dumbfounded.

It's a picture of me and Cedric kissing.

"What the..." I ask, taking the photo and looking at it carefully "That's not me" I say, turning to Fred "I swear to you, I didn't kiss Cedric"

"What is this then? A prank? A joke? It's right here, Y/N" Fred says.

"I didn't kiss him" I say sternly.

"Just admit that you kissed him, it'll at least make me feel a little better" Fred says, but I shake my head.

"I have nothing to admit. I didn't kiss him. Where'd you get the photo from?"

"Ron"

"Who'd he get it from?" I ask, furrowing my eyebrows.

"Colin, but that doesn't matter"

"You hear about the picture, Y/N?" Atlas asks as he walks past me and Fred, flashing the photo at us "It's everywhere"

"Who did you take the picture with? Who did you kiss?" I ask Atlas, getting up and grabbing his arm, making him turn and stop.

He smirks.

"I don't know what you're talking about" he says, then pulls his arm away, walking off.

"You saw him smirk. He's done something, and because you're jealous of Cedric, you're listening to him. Atlas wants to play with your mind and you're letting him" I say, getting up "If you believe this picture, then you're not the guy I thought you were" I say, leaving the hall.

~~~~~

Someone throws a piece of paper at me while I'm working, so I look up. I look around 'till is see Fred throw a piece of paper at Angelina.

He mouths something, moves his arms as if he were dancing, then mouths again. Angelina nods her head, swooning over Fred.

Fred turns to Ron and winks at him, then sees me staring. He smiles, then goes back to his work, leaving me pissed.

I go back to my work, finishing it off before closing it, handing it to Snape. Once I give it, I almost run out the hall, everyone watching me.

I take a corner and run to the Slytherin common room, going in and going to the girls dormitories, taking the picture and looking at it, tears rolling down my cheeks.