chapter 54

When we get to Hogwarts, 2 other schools seem to be arriving, and I look curiously at the flying carriage and the tiny ship in the water that shoots up and becomes a giant ship, floating across the lake.

"Now we're all settled in and sorted, I'd like to make an announcement. This castle will not only be your home this year but home to some very special guests as well. You see Hogwarts has been chosen..." Dumbledore starts, but talks to Filch once he gets to the front of the Hall "So Hogwarts has been chosen to host a legendary event. The Tri-Wizard tournament. Now for those of you who do not know, the tri-wizard tournament brings together three schools for a series of magical contests. From each school a single contestant is selected to compete. Now let me be clear, if chosen you stand alone. And trust me when I say these contests are not for the faint hearted, but more of that later. For now please join me in welcoming the lovely ladies of the Beauxbatons Academy of magic and their headmistress Madam Maxime"

Student from Beauxbatons come in, doing a little girly dance sort of thing, butterflies flying off their uniforms.

"And now our friends from the north, please greet the proud sons of Durmstrang and the high master Igor Karkaroff"

The Durmstrang boys coming in, bashing their staffs against the ground and creating music with them.

Once everyone has settled down, the teachers began talking between themselves, the students doing the same.

~~~~~

"Your attention please! I would like to say a few words. Eternal glory, that is what awaits the student who wins the tri-wizard tournament. But to do this, that student must survive three tasks. Three extremely dangerous tasks" Dumbledore says.

"Wicked" I hear the twins say and look at them.

"I can't believe you 2 wanna be in this tournament already" I say, knowing they wanna do it.

"For this reason, the Ministry has seen fit to impose a new rule. To explain all this we have the head of the department of international magic cooperation Mister Bartimus Crouch" Dumbledore says.

The roof of the Great Hall suddenly starts thundering, and a mysterious man shoots a spell at it, instantly calming it down.

I stare curiously at the man, wondering who he is.

"Bloody hell, it's Mad-Eye Moody" Ron says.

"Alastor Moody? The aura" Hermione asks.

"He was a catcher. Half the cells in Azkaban are full thanks to him. He's supposed to be mad as a hatter though these days" Ron says.

Mr Moody takes a step forwards and shakes Dumbledore's hand, then picks up a flask, taking a swig of what's inside.

"What's that he's drinking do you suppose?" Seamus asks.

"I don't know but I don't think it's pumpkin juice" Harry says ominously.

"After much deliberation, the Ministry has concluded that for their own safety, no student under the age of seventeen shall be allowed to put forth their name for the Tri-Wizard tournament. This decision is final" Barty Crouch says.

Every student in the hall began booing and talking nonsense, even the twins, and I didn't think they were this passionate about it.

"That's rubbish! You don't know what you're doing!" the twins yell, making me slap both of their arms.

"Silence!" Dumbledore yells, immediately stopping everyone.

Dumbledore points his wand to a golden statue of some sorts and pulls his wand down slowly, removing the gold layer and showing a beautiful goblet underneath it.

"The Goblet of Fire. Anyone wishing to submit themselves for the tournament merely write their name upon a piece of parchment and throw it in the flame before this hour on Thursday night. Do not do so lightly, if chosen there's no turning back. As from this moment the Tri-Wizard tournament has begun" Dumbledore warns.

~~~~~

"Alastor Moody" professor Moody says, writing his name on the blackboard "Ministry malcontent. And your new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me, end of story, goodbye, the end. Any questions?" he asks.

Silence.

"When it comes to the dark arts, I believe in a practical approach. But first, which of you can tell me how many unforgivable curses there are?" professor Moody asks.

"Three sir" me and Hermione answer.

"And they are so named?" professor Moody asks, turning to the blackboard again and writing.

"Because they are unforgivable. Use of any one of them will-" Hermione starts.

"Will earn you a one way ticket to Azkaban. Correct" professor interrupts "Now the Ministry says you're too young to see what these curses do. I say different! You need to know what you're up against, you need to be prepared. You need to find somewhere else to put your chewing gum besides the underside of your desk Mr Finnigan!" professor yells with his back turned.

Seamus confusingly mutters to his classmates next to him, but professor throws the chalk in his hand at Seamus.

"And hear across classrooms!" he yells "So, which curse shall we see first? Weasley!" professor calls, Ron jumping up in fear.

"Yes?" he asks, terrified.

"Stand" professor says, Ron slowly standing up "Give us a curse"

"Well... my dad did tell me about one. The Imperious curse" Ron says.

"Ah yes, your father would know all about that. Gave the Ministry quite a bit of grief a few years ago. Perhaps this will show you why" professor says.

Professor Moody opens a jar and takes a funny-looking spider out of it, enlargening it.

"Imperio" he casts, using his wand to direct where the spider should go, controlling it "Don't worry. Completely harmless. But if she bites, she's lethal!" Moody warns.

Moody places the spider on Ron's head, causing Draco to laugh.

"What are you laughing at?" Moody asks Draco, putting the spider on him.

Draco turns to Goyle and starts smacking his arm in gesture for Goyle to get it off him. As he tries, Moody just moves the spider away from Draco.

"Talented isn't she? What shall I have her do next? Jump out the window? Drown herself?" Moody asks, hovering the spider over a bucket.

No words were thrown, but Moody gets the hint, putting the spider back in his hand.

"Scores of witches and wizards have claimed that they only did You-Know-Who's bidding under the influence of the Imperious Curse. But here's the rub, how do we sort out the liars? Another, another, come on come on. Longbottom is it? Up" 'Moody' calls, Neville standing up "Professor Sprout tells me you have an aptitude for herbology" Moody says, making Neville nod his head.

"There's the, um, Cruciatus Curse" Neville says lightly.

"Correct! Correct! come come" Moody says, taking Neville beside the teacher's desk "Particularly nasty. The torture curse. Crucio" Moody casts.

The spider squeals and screeches in pain, writhing beneath Moody as Neville watches in horror.

"Stop! Stop it! Just stop!" I yell, getting out of my seat.

"Can't you see it's bothering him, stop it!" Hermione yells, making Moody look between me and Hermione, then stopping the spell after looking at Neville's pained expression.

"Perhaps you could give us the last unforgivable curse, Miss Granger" Moody says, but Hermione shakes her head "What about you, Miss Potter?"

"The Killing Curse" I say, my voice breaking.

"Correct. Avada Kedavra" he shoots at the spider, killing it instantly as I flinch, thinking back to the Quidditch World Cup. He turns to the class "The Killing Curse. Only one person is known to have survived it. And he's sitting in this room" Moody says, making his way to Harry's desk, staring at Harry before taking his flask out of his jacket and having a swig of it.