8

When I come into the living room for dinner, it is quiet. I sit down at the table, as if I hadn't noticed that the silence fell only when I entered. Zayn is now also home and sitting across from me at the table. "How was school?" he asks, more seriously than ever. "Um, well okay." I'll answer. "Okay..." Zayn fidgets with his fork, he never does. "What?" I ask. "Nothing?" He pricks a potato that has already been scooped up.

"Listen." My mother sits down next to me. "Zayn and I talked..." Talk?! About what?! "About you, about the bullying, about your gloom." No... no say it's not true! "YOU TELL HIM?!" I scream. "YOU WOULD NOT DO THAT! REMEMBER?!" I'm starting to panic.

"Why? He's not my father!" I snap. "Calm down, mom hasn't finished talking..." Zayn bites his lip. "I don't take it easy!" There are tears in my eyes again. "We have a solution, we think..."

"Yes, of course! I've been trying to come up with a solution for months." I get up. "You can't help me." I run upstairs to my room. I drop myself on my bed. As if confessing to Mom wasn't enough! Now Zayn knows too... I wake up to a knock on my door. Apparently I fell asleep. Zayn enters. "Hey." he says softly. "Hi." He walks over to me and sits on my bed. "We thought, let's leave you for an hour." He smiles weakly. I rub my eyes and sit up straight. Then everything comes back. Everything that happened this afternoon. "Listen... Mommy and I thought you better get out of here for a while."

"Leave?" The fierceness of earlier bubbles up again. "Leave? Where to? To an asylum?!" I snap. Zayn sighs. "No..." "To a foster home?" I continue. "No...why would you? We..." "Then what?" I ask fiercely. Zayn thinks. "Come with us, on tour." I am silent about this. On tour, all over the world. "We called the manager. You can come along, you can fly along, and during concerts you can stay backstage, or sit in the hall. And..."

"Ho ho ho hold on Malik." I interrupt him. "How's that going to help me?" I do see the positive in it: I don't have to miss my brother, I can see the world. But I want to know what Zayn thinks; how he thinks he will help me. "You are away from here, from this environment." Zayn smiles. "There are a few things." He continues. I look at my brother questioningly. "You'll be gone for a year, so also a year from school. But we're going to arrange that you can take a year's break if you want. That you start again with the fourth one in a year." A year without school! I want to answer when Zayn continues to talk. "Secondly, from the moment of the tour, you will no longer be out of the spotlight. From now on you will be recognized and seen as: the sister of..." I sigh. Am I willing to do that?

**

520 words

Don't forget to vote