42

"Happy Father's Day everyone!" Harry walks in. When he sees us, he is startled. "Oh... Sorry..." I shrug. "It's okay..."

We are now another month and a half on. We arrived in Australia last week. Time goes fast, too fast...

"It's almost your birthday!" I give Ashton a kiss. "Half a month to go." He laughs. "Then you'll be twenty already. Old fart!" He gives me a shove, laughing. Then Wienowa comes in. She sits down by Liam and gives him a kiss. They've been together for half a month. I've accepted it, but I really like her... Nah... "Happy Father's Day Wienowa!" Says Harry, less enthusiastically, as he looks at us. Wienowa mumbles something resembling 'thank you'. I sigh irritated, a little gratitude would do. I look around me. We're all in Wienowa's room... And Liam's too, actually. I think he sleeps with her sometimes. I get up. "Boys?" I call out uncertainly. It's immediately silent. "Uhm... I just want to say something to Zayn..." Zayn looks at me in surprise. "I'm not good at this but.... Thank you for being my father figure. Thank you for everything." Zayn stands up. He hugs me. When I let go of him, I see his eyes shine. He smiles. "Thanks." He gives me another hug. Everyone claps. I sit down. Wienowa looks at me not understanding. "I don't have a father." I say, as if I don't care. "You don't have a... Father?" She asks. I nod. "He left when I was eight." I shrug. "Why are you being so simple about it?" Wienowa asks. She sounds irritated. What is she meddling with?" What am I supposed to do? Cry?" I'm starting to get irritated too. She doesn't know how it feels! "Yes, for example! It's not nothing, is it?" She shouts. Liam puts his hand on her shoulder. "How do you know? Mind your own father! Go call him or something!" I shout. Wienowa gets up. There are tears in her eyes. She pulls up her shirt and points to her tattoo. "See that soldier? This is a tribute to my father! And that date. Those are his date of birth and date of death! He died in the war last year!" Screams Wienowa. Then she runs away. Liam gives me a scathing look and then runs after her. I remain defeated, just like the rest of the boys.

"I didn't know this..." I stammer. Louis shakes his head. "Nobody knew this in my opinion."

"Only Liam..." Mutters Harry. "That's why he was whispering like that." I stand in front of me. I really didn't know this. I always thought she was weird, but now I'm starting to understand her. She lost her father, a short time ago. And my father may still be walking around somewhere, hers is never coming back.

An hour and a half later, we are back in the concert hall... Liam is only missing, just like Wienowa by the way...

"How are we supposed to practice without Liam?" Sighs Niall. I feel guilty. "Can't you sing?" Louis asks. He looks at me. "Then she'll have to sing a song herself first, to see if she can really do it..." Jokes Harry. "Fuck off..." I snarl angrily. "It was just a joke...." Apologises Harry. "They just want to hear you sing." Interferes Luke. I stand up. "You want to hear me sing? Fine." I grumble. "I will, once I get rid of your bullshit!" "Guys, leave her alone. Father's Day is hard enough, now this business with Wienowa... You don't have to do it, Juul." Zayn defends me. I climb onto the stage. "Band?" I growl. "Juul." Sighs Zayn, as Luke, Michael, Calum and Ashton climb onto the stage. "No, I'll be fine.  Mutters I. I already know what song I'm going to do. I hope the boys will finally realise that I CAN'T sing like Zayn, they've been whining about it for a month.

"One, two, one, two, three, four... Ashton taps his drumsticks as the song has no intro. The song that almost always makes me cry: a trophy fathers trophy son....

I start singing, I know the lyrics all by heart.

I feel the tears running down my cheeks, but I don't sob. I look around the room, Zayn wants to walk on stage, I shake my head.

A small interlude. "Stop?" Luke whispers. I shake my head. I finish this. Zayn looks at me, there are tears in my eyes. I sing, I sing as if my life depended on it. Then Wienowa enters, followed by Liam. She looks at me with tearful eyes. Still I sing on.

"Should I do the scream?" Asks Luke. I shake my head again. I'll manage, I have to manage. I don't want to fail.

I scream! I am really doing it!

When the song is finished, I sigh with relief. I hear drumsticks falling, footsteps. I am hugged from behind. I turn around and end up right in Ashton's embrace. I cry, the song has managed to make me cry again.

When I look up, I see Zayn standing next to me, he's hugging me too. I look over his shoulder straight into the hall. Liam has put an arm around the crying Wienowa. When Wienowa sees me looking, she raises her thumb and smiles through her tears.

Niall, Louis and Harry look admiringly at the stage. I let go of Zayn. "I'm proud of you." He says softly. There are tears in his eyes.

I smile at him, dry my tears and walk off the stage, towards Wienowa. "I'm sorry, I really didn't know that..."

"It doesn't matter, you couldn't have known." Wienowa interrupts me. I nod. "Thanks." I mumble.

962 words

Don't forget to vote