71

"Sup sup?" I jolt awake, I had apparently fallen asleep. Mayke walks in, I can smell the alcohol from here.

I look next to me, where Wienowa is sitting. She rubs her eyes. "How was it?" She asks. Mayke smiles. "Super! Great food!" She says. "And the boys liked the chicks..." She laughs. I feel, despite my confidence in Ashton, a great stab of jealousy.

"Why are you back already?" I ask, changing the subject. "I didn't feel like it anymore... The boys still wanted to stay put but I didn't." She explains, dropping herself on the bed. "Oh..." Is the only thing I get out of my mouth.

"So... And you guys had a nice night too?" Mayke asks. I can hear she's tipsy. I think of Zayn's wise saying that he told me when I was fifteen. "Drunk or tipsy people always tell the truth!"

"Juul?"

"Huh?"

"Did you have a nice evening?" Mayke repeats her question. I nod absently.

"We had serious conversations..." I begin, while looking at Wienowa. She looks at me questioningly, but I know exactly what I'm doing. "Oh, why?" Mayke asks, laughing a little. "About the one who lobs everything to the press..." I continue. Juul, come on, don't make any mistakes. You can do this!

I take a deep breath. If she's not, this could ruin our friendship. If she is, we've finally found out. I look at Wienowa and press my lips together, signalling her to shut up. She nods understandingly. "It does suck that everything is passed on..." Mutters Mayke. I nod. I feel Wienowa's gaze burning, but I ignore it.

"It was you, admit it..." I say sharply. Mayke looks at me startled.... Finally, that says it all. I hear Wienowa swallow. She gasps, probably to say something, but she keeps her mouth shut. "What... How..." Stammered Mayke. "How do you know..." Despite having expected it, it startles me. So it is true after all. "I didn't know..." I admit.

"I was bluffing..." I say. "Wooh... Wait... You?!" Wienoa jumps up. So does Mayke. She runs backwards startled. "You just... IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT!" Yells Wienowa. Tears spring up in her eyes. I feel sorry for her, to see her like this. But I know it's nonsense: what she has done is irreparable...

"I'm sorry..." She whispers. Her voice trembles. "YES, YES! SORRY! Of course!" Yells Wienowa, running menacingly towards Mayke. Mayke backs up further. "Really! It wasn't my fault! It really wasn't..." Wienowa lashes out and slaps Mayke, full in the face. Mayke cashes in and grabs her cheek. "Bitch!" Hisses Wienowa. She opens the door and walks out of the room. She slams the door hard behind her. Mayke collapses against the wall. She puts her hands in front of her face and her shoulders start to shake. It looks terrible, so vulnerable. I get up from the bed I've been sitting on all this time. I walk over to Mayke and sit down next to her. It is almost unintelligible. "Why... Are you doing it then? For goodness sake." I mutter. "It had to be..." Whispers Mayke. "I had no choice..."

I look at her not understanding. "But..." I can't get any further, Mayke interrupts me.

"Please! Don't say anything to Luke! Or the rest! I love Luke, I can't live without him!" Cries Mayke in panic. She lifts her head and shakes it wildly. "Then why are you telling all this? I don't understand any of it..." I ask. I want to know, I had to know. Mayke shakes her head. "I'm not allowed to say..." She mumbles. "There's a lot you're not allowed to say, but you've done that too." I reply fiercely. Mayke turns bright red.

"Okay, okay... I uhm... Promise me that you won't say this to anyone. If anyone finds out..." Orders Mayke. I nod. "The press forced me... I have to do it because of the press. If I don't... Yes... Then they would... Pass on my secret... Then everyone would know... And..."

"Woow woow woow wait.... What secret?" I ask. Mayke bites her lip. "Doesn't matter..." She says hoarsely. "Well! What secret!" I already know so many secrets, I can't really add any more. But my curiosity wins out. "None!" Yells Mayke angrily. "Yes, there is!" I insist. "Say it!"

727 words

Don't forget to vote