98

"Why don't we do this more often?" I walk happily beside Ashton, who holds my hand. Our arms go up and down because I can't keep my arm still. "What?" asks Ashton. "Walking like this, through Amsterdam..." I reply. Ashton laughs. "We're only here until tomorrow morning..." He replies, laughing. I sigh. "Can't we live here? Or go back more often? With our honeymoon or something." I reply enthusiastically. Ashton nods. "We will." Is his reply.

When we walk past a newsstand, the cover of one of the magazines catches my eye immediately. I stop walking, take my hand from Ashton's and walk to the newsstand. "What do you see?" Ashton asks. He walks towards me. I take the magazine from the shelf and look at it. On the cover are pictures of me and Ashton that I didn't even know existed. In the pictures, Ashton and I are looking at each other. Then we kiss. That must be the moment we sang to each other, it can't be helped.

Next to the pictures is a Dutch text and a page number. I turn to the page: Even more pictures, even more Dutch text.

"I want to know what it says." I mutter, as I show the pictures to Ashton. "You'll never find out anyway." Ashton replies. "You should pay attention." I walk into the kiosk, Ashton walking behind me laughing. "Ma'am?" I walk up to the old woman behind the cash register. "Please don't." Laughs Ashton." Still I walk on.

"I had a question. Can you tell me what it says?" I ask. I hand the woman the magazine. She starts reading, thinks for a moment and clears her throat. "Jashton spotted in Amsterdam." She translates in her best English. That's probably the title. She looks at the magazine again and then at us. "Is this you?" She asks. I shake my head. Ashton starts laughing. "Yes, we are." I admit. The woman smiles at me. "I see here the name of a band my granddaughter is an awful fan of." She explains. I nod. "She's also going to the concert tonight... Anyway. Do you want to know literally what it says, or shall I give you a summary?" Continues the woman. I smile at her. "A summary please. He has to go to rehearsal soon..." I reply cheerfully.

The woman's eyes shoot rapidly over the lines. She smiles occasionally. "It says that you are a perfect couple. That you were walking through Amsterdam and Juul was wearing a shirt with Ashton's last name." I smile. "Other than that, they hope to hear a lot of positive things about you guys and they also hope that there will be a marriage proposal." Grinning, I put my hand on Ashton's shoulder. "Work to do..." I laugh. Ashton starts laughing. "Sucker! He laughs. I stick out my tongue. Then I focus on the woman again.

"I would like to buy the magazine." I say to her. "You can't even speak Dutch!" Laughs Ashton. I shrug my shoulders. "I can look at the pictures..." I reply, as I grab my wallet. Ashton walks out of the newsstand and comes back with the same magazine. "You're right. I want one too. And I'm paying." Ashton grabs his wallet and smiles at me. I smile back. "Thanks for your help." I say to the woman. "Shall I sign something for your granddaughter?" Ashton asks, inserting his debit card into the machine.

"Very much. And if Juul wants to do that too? She's a fan of both of you." The woman grabs a pen and paper and hands it to me. "What's her name?" I ask. "June." Answers the woman. I start to write. Finally I sign it. Then I give the sheet to Ashton. He writes something down and then signs it too.

"Thank you very much! Can I ask a favour too?" The woman asks as she puts the magazines in a bag and hands them to Ashton. "Of course." I reply. "Can I have my picture taken with you? It's a bit of an odd question but..."

"Of course, ma'am..." Mourning grabs her rather modern mobile and poses for the photo. Ashton and I do the same.

"Thank you so much! Have fun performing tonight!" The woman smiles at us. I walk towards the exit of the kiosk. "Thank you ma'am! Wish us granddaughter lots of fun from us." Ashton replies. Then we walk out of the kiosk hand in hand.

"Nice woman." I say. Ashton grins. I look at him questioningly. "Was I with the real Juul just now? I've never experienced you asking a stranger something..." Laughs Ashton. I laugh too. "For you, I'll do anything." I reply. "I'm proud of you. You've changed, but in a positive way. And of course; you will always be a bit shy. But this is a good step." I smile and stop walking.

"Ashton?" Ashton also stops walking. "You are with most beautiful thing that ever happened to me." I feel myself turning red. "And you are the most beautiful thing that has happened to me too." He whispers. Then he lifts me up. "Rehearsals are about to start." I laugh. "Sucker! Let go of me!" I laugh. Ashton laughs too. "Princesses don't walk. He winks. I get even redder.

"Then lift me onto your back." I reply. Ashton puts me down and goes through his knees. I jump on his back. "Can we?" he asks as I wrap my arms around his neck. I nod. "We can..."

928 words

Don't forget to vote